March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#195058 07/09/10 12:20 PM
Tyler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been looking at a SBT on gunbroker.com for a couple of weeks. The seller has a 501 A+ rating but I have written him several times and received no reply. I have also sent him my phone number (both cell and toll free at the office) with no results. Is there some place replies might go rather than my email account? Any suggestions? With a no returns policy I hate to bid on a gun without discussing it first. Seems to be a good gun at a reasonable price. I can not understand why the seller would not respond to an iterested buyer. Thanks.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello, well there are a couple things why he has not answered you yet. Just my take mind you:

1) He's on vacation, it's that time of year

2) He's ill

3) In jail!!

4) Just does not care if he sells or not

5) He's a crook

A couple of these are tounge in check (to some degree). I've sold a couple on GB and always make a point to get back to someone as fast as I can, after all, I want to sell. On the other hand, I've also asked questions with no answer just as you have. In this case, if I don't receive an answer in a reasonable amount of time, I just forget about it. Not worth the hassle if the guy is less than honest.

Also, I never buy from a seller with a no return policy. Gives the appearence that something is wrong with the gun and he wants to dump it. Most of the times, sellers with these policies know that somethig is wrong and will not tell you regardless how many questions you ask. If you give them bad feedback, he can always say he told you. His word against yours.

Even if the guy is not at home, most folks who want to sell have the ability to check their e-mails regardless of where they are.

Sellers may have great ratings, but are they recent or not. In a lot of cases you just need to go with your gut feeling, if it does not seem right, then more than likely it's not.

Just remember, there will always be another gun coming down the pike, maybe in better shape or cheaper. Half the fun is looking.

Best of luck to you, hope things work out in your favor!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

Tyler, I am afraid that is the way a lot of business is done nowa-days. If the gun is worth the extra effort hang in there. I have stopped visiting these sites much because when I find a gun that interests me I have to keep asking the same questions everytime as they are seldom up front with the info. Chokes, barrel length, LOP, Drop, cracks, dents, function. That's the way its done now!

Tyler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The first auction has expired and he relisted the gun. Seems strange that this guy could successfully sell over 500 guns acting like this. It is certainly something I can live without. Thanks for your comments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Tyler,
I was unable to find the ad you referred to. I'd like to read it, if you'll give us the item number. I see more and more ads lately, that say "as is, no returns". Opinions may differ on that policy and that's whole 'nother topic. The one thing I would offer to your post is that better protocol might be for you to call him. That's JMO, of course. There are a lot of lookie-loos out there, who are too cheap to make a phone call on their nickel. Some of them will start off by asking questions that were answered clearly in the seller's description but they were too lazy to read. Armed, up front, with the no-return policy, I would certainly make voice contact with the seller and ask all the right questions, before making your decision. If you're not satisfied with his answers, don't buy.

> Jim Legg <

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been bitten twice on the no return policy. Both times the gun has poor pictures and a poorer description. Thus I should have figured things out. However, in my case the fellow fully answered my questions, but lied through his teeth. So in short, unless I see real good pictures I don't bother. That old saying one picture is worth a thousand words is confirmed all the time. Also, I have on more then one occasion sent emails asking something everyone should ask, "What's a phone number I can call you at so we can talk"? If I don't get a response to that I don't bother.

Lastly, I appreciate a sellers dilemma to a degree. I had one guy returned a sxs one time because the fellow didn't like the way it felt??? Nothing wrong with the gun, just didn't feel right. I had the 3 day no questions asked policy and literally was ready to jump off a bridge. That gun was over $2,000.

Talked to another dealer who told me he sold everything as is, because he once had a model 12 returned with parts missing. Turned into "They weren't there" and "Yes they were you a**hole" and he ended up eating the gun.

Lots of stories like the above out there. All that said, I spend a lot of time wheeling and dealing and love it. Your just gonna take on on chin from time to time.

foxes rule
Tyler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If there was a number I would certainly call him. As I stated earlier, I even gave him a toll free number here at the office. Here is the id of the gun: Auction # 177617792 I am still interested but there are a lot of bells going off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

if this seller is who i think he is, he has been a licensed firearms dealer for over 30 years. he is also almost blind and does not hear well. that said, follow your gut and pass if you do not feel comfortable.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Tyler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ed, I notice you are from NH. If you happen to be near his place I would trust your accessment. It is just a single barrel citori, not a whole lot to go wrong but I would like to at least talk to someone who has seen it. Or if you know his number I would gladly call him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GB is a two way street,bad buyers and some bad sellers. I'm convinced that an astute buyer will do fine. You may not hit a home run every time though, but how much variety is there in your locale? Yet if someone won't return my email, I pass.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.