May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, Fudd, 1 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,483
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

When you use it in a car, it does find all your engine oil leaks for you....

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I'm on my second truck using nothing but M1. 230,000 on the first truck and it's still running nicely. The second has 40,000 on it. Both have had nothing but M1 since the first oil change. Neither of them leak a drop.

I've heard the stories about the oil leak thing on the truck forums. Most stories were with engines that had lots of time with mineral oil first. Could be something to it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally I use a 0W-20 M1 in working on antique Sewing Machines. It seems to do a better job than the Singer oil & $6.00 a Quart is a lot better than about $1.00 an oz in those little 4oz bottles.
Only downside is its not "Stainless" but unless you can throw it the washing machine its best to keep the oil OFF the cloth to begin with & if you can it doesn't really make that much difference.
Have also started using it on most anything needing a light oil, including guns, don't know what affect it has on wood so currently using the same basic precautions to keep it out of the inletting as any other oil.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think SDH and others method of sealing the head of the stock and inletting is good advice. The "Turbine" oils may be more "stain-free" since they seem to have higher purity to avoid carbonization that can kill a jet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aircraft Turbine engines require synthetic oil, aircraft piston engines do not, or other ground piston engines.........although it is far superior......therefore, all Aircraft Turbine Engine Oil is synthetic......dibasic esters and polyethylene oil base mixtures.....packaged at very few qualified plants that are certified.......

First formulated during WWII in Germany and the U.S. during the same period........

Aircraft Turbine synthetic oil does not hold any carbon residue in suspension and maintains purity at extreme temperatures while maintaining superior lubricating properties......

Molecular shear particle separation is in the extreme league....

Doug

OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The original Singer oil was nothing but straight mineral oil, highly refined so that it was colorless. This was done so that it would not stain cloth run through a sewing machine. You can get the same stuff at any pharmacy labeled as medicinal mineral oil. I don't know what the present oil is, since modern sewing machines don't have nearly as many mechanical parts that they used to thanks to the computer revolution.

OB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ever tried K-Y Jelly?
grin
Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
I remember reading somewhere that the synthetic oil manufacturing method was stolen during WW2 by either us or the Germans, one way or the other. I don't exactly recall which, but I thought we stole it from them.

Last edited by Chuck H; 07/13/10 07:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CptCurl
Ever tried K-Y Jelly?
grin
Curl

Get'n kinda a personal there....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Doug,
I remember reading somewhere that the synthetic oil manufacturing method was stolen during WW2 by either us or the Germans, one way or the other. I don't exactly recall which, but I thought we stole it from them.

Chuck:

I read the same thing somewhere, mentioned was that both sides were working on it....in reality, I'm sure that one side 'borrowed technology' from the other ....I'm glad the development of synthetic started and progressed to what it is today.........great stuff, it has really improved the motoring world and industry........none of my cars/trucks/airplanes leak either Chuck...................

Doug

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.