May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (battle, MattH, Jusanothajoe, Birdog, bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,653
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#195958 07/16/10 01:12 AM
sweep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently bought a Winchester 21 with 2 barrels that has been stored in it's leather case for a very long time. Both the case and the wood of the gun have this smell. I read some previous posts about solutions for the case but nothing for the wood of the gun.
I now have the case filled with kitty litter and it seems to be helping(I had my freezer thaw and kitty litter was the only thing that I found to remove the spoiled meat smell so I thought I'd give that a try first). If that doesn't work I will try some of the other solutions from the prvious posts.
I have lightly wiped down stock and forearms with Murphy's and it helped, but the smell still remains. I don't want to put the gun in the safe while it still smells, so for now I'm just letting it air out.
I talked to a gunsmith who does gun restoration for guns after a fire. He thought that he would be able to get the smell out but may need refinishing. I'll take the gun to him if I have too but don't really want to do a refinish as the wood and finish are still quite nice.
Anyone have any ideas how to get the smell out of the stock?

sweep #195970 07/16/10 08:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try wiping the stock with some high quality lemmon oil and place where air will circulate around it (a small fan on low). It is likley it will have to be refinished, but the lemmon oil may lessen the odor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most Lowes or Home Depots sell a product called ODO-Ban. Put it in a spray bottle and it will kill about any smell and it is safe and non rusting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would set the case out in sunlight.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know what you mean. I just picked up a 1890's vintage shotgun, cased, and when I opened the case, the first thing that popped into my mind was the smell of a old antique shop. I kind of like the smell, and the gun did have a little of the same odor. The case still smells, but the gun, well the gun smells like a gun again. I will set the case out in the sunlight and see what happens. All logic says the uv in the sunlight will kill the mold and it'll probably do the case some good to get some "air" as well.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Take a couple of coffee filters and partially fill them with fresh ground coffee. Place these in your case and close it up for about a week. I did this with a Thompson SMG case that had been stored in a basement and it worked like a charm.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd think about wetting a papertowel with Clorox and putting it in an open plastic bag in the closed case in the sun. The chlorine vapor should kill any imbedded mold.anyone know of any negatives to this?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

What Jim said.

Fresh ground Coffee in a couple of clean socks.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

italian sxs- we're talking about moldy gun cases, not smuggling cocaine past airport drug sniffing dogs, OK? And LeFusil, I kind of like that moldy smell, too. I remodeled my kitchen and put in a pie safe and a jelly cupboard, both from the late 1800s. And the one thing I like about them is going through the kitchen and smelling that old musty smell they put off. But anyway, I would try some Air Wick or some Glade air freshener. In some kind of spice or strong fruit odors. I use them in my old tennis shoes and they always worked pretty well. Is there any way you can change the padding in the case? That might help also. I would think that the smell would eventually wear off of the gun. Hope this helps. (and italian sxs, I hope you know I was just pulling your leg.):)

sweep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the replies. So far airing things out have really helped. Very good ideas. I'm going to wait 2 weeks and see if the smell remains and then try the coffee.
I have used ZorBex with limited success in fireplaces with creosote odors. I'll look for ODO-Ban.
Thanks again and wish me luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.