March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (LeFusil, playing hooky, Ian Forrester, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

beginning to get a nice group of files for small tasks like sights and such, found a 60˚ with 2 sides blind for dovetails.

Today I noticed a few are beginning to show signs of rust. A few years back I was told, not a big deal, it can somewhat make them sharper, but is it really OK? I have heard that they should never be oiled since they will clog. I use non oiled chalk when using them. I was also advised to keep them in a container of lime, which I have done.

What say you wizards of metal work?

thanks,

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob

I would just go ahead and oil them, they came from the factory that way. If the oil really bothers you degrease them before using.

I may get strung up here, but I use oil with my files. Yes I know, use dry/use with chalk, and I did that for many years. But a couple of years ago, I started thinking, I use oil for taps/dies, milling cutters, lathe bits etc…anywhere I’m cutting steel with steel I use an oil based lubricant….so why not files?

Started using WD-40 with my files, no ill effects, keeps the swarf from galling and clogging the teeth. Clean with a file card, files are still sharp & cut as well as ever.

V/R

Mike

WJW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob

Use cutting oil on mine. Seem to last longer and cut better.

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clean file.? I use a piece of copper tubing..Make flat with a hammer on the end. A couple strokes to grove the the teeth. Result super clean files. Try it. Whitey

Last edited by whitey; 07/19/10 09:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Hunter
Rob

I would just go ahead and oil them, they came from the factory that way. If the oil really bothers you degrease them before using.

I may get strung up here, but I use oil with my files. Yes I know, use dry/use with chalk, and I did that for many years. But a couple of years ago, I started thinking, I use oil for taps/dies, milling cutters, lathe bits etc…anywhere I’m cutting steel with steel I use an oil based lubricant….so why not files?

Started using WD-40 with my files, no ill effects, keeps the swarf from galling and clogging the teeth. Clean with a file card, files are still sharp & cut as well as ever.

V/R

Mike

Rob, I have to agree with Mike Hunter here, at the end of every working day I use WD40 on the files I have used during that period of work after cleaning them with a file card to remove any traces of chalk used to help prevent filings clogging up the teeth and scarring the work.

I cannot see any future in covering your files with lime. This is hygroscopic and attracts moisture and will therefore cause metal to rust. Living in a more of less permanently damp atmosphere in England as I do, you have to be very aware of rust on every ferrous metal surface.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used a 1/8" x 3" piece of brass sheet to clean files via a Lynton McKenzie suggestion. About three strokes and it's grooved to fit the tooth pattern. Then a nylon bristle brush. Chalk for anti-clog, almost nothing rusts in MT.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"almost nothing rusts in MT"

Wish I could say that about NY, my dehumidifier bought it and while waiting for the new one the basement shop is like a swimming pool.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Down here, if the humidity EVER falls below 50%, we all think The Rapture is here!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I lived in Western Oregon for 17 years, I know about humidiy & rust!
In eastern MT, park a car, take out the battery and leave it for 20 years, its OK.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Oil will hold particles on files and make the teeth clog. For small files, I brush them out with a file brush, clean in my ultrasonic cleaner, dry thoroughly then immerse in vinegar for a few days. This converts the rust if any, and slightly etches them. On the tips of the teeth where the metal is thin, this etching is enough to actually sharpen the teeth. Another trip through the ultrasonic leaves them perfectly clean and rust free 'in the white', dry and they're ready to use.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.