April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marks_21, Replacement, SKB, Mr W martin, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 1,027 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done just what John describes to four English guns and I love them. Not everybody's cup of tea but it was my choice.

I have also done a few American doubles and I like them as well.

I left my Lefever alone as well as a Fox SW with a lot of case color.

Toby Barclay does move his stuff and I would encourage John to look into it farther.

Just my two cents, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, give it a go, test the market. I think you will do just fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, if you mentioned a price range, I missed it. I think the pricerange contains the answer to your question. As to the aftermarket type boxlock cases, I don't think they add much value. Maybe vintage ones do, but not much except in special instances.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a market for what you are thinking about doing. To make it work you will need someone to buy the guns for a good starting price, then over see the work needed. No doubt, with out workers, it can be done for far less over there than over here. Then shipping in job lots to keep shipping expenses done should be easy for you to figure out. As a plus you can adjust the number and timing of your inventory to hit the peak interest times of the year.

Try ten guns for a target sample and see how they sell. Most of us here will be only a modest interest in what you are offering but it is a small niche market. The bottom feeders will drool, the fellows with a hundred guns will look with interest. Well, they might be your best market, come to think of it. You got to play to win.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you did only 16's and 20's you would probably do well....12's would be overpriced after the clean up and cosmetics ....?..........New cases would not be worth the effort or cost in my opinion.....

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

No money in it.

First off, where are you going to buy mechanically solid guns with good bbls for a bout 1/3 of what they're worth?

If you know where there's a steady supply of these, let me know. Believe me, you're not the only guy looking for them, either here or in the UK. IF you get them out of the UK, shipping/fees will eat up another 1/3. You'll be 2/3s into these guns before you touch them. That's leaves 1/3 for fixing them up and profit. That's thin.

Second, why bother "restoring" them? Doing it right costs too much. Guys simply won't pay the money it would take to make the ROI worth your time.

Finally, the market for English boxlocks is just not that strong. Check out these guns:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180690570

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196171#Post196171

Those are all original guns at very fair prices. The guys can't sell them.

How are you going to sell warmed over stuff if they can't move those doubles?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Isnt this kinda what Hill Rod & Gun has been doing for years now? They don't "fully" restore the guns they import, but they get them up to proper working order (put back on face, springs, etc). I think if a person was to buy the guns at low auction prices, put a little work into them, there is money to be made, no doubt about it. I think this is precisely what Dig does when he finds guns on the cheap isn't it??

Dustin

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guy, great input. Larry I was thinking of this because though the aya #453 is a great gun, there are folks that love English gun and might rather have one than a Spanish gun. I would only do 16 or 20 bores unless there was really something special with a 12. However, I think now after taking to one of my friends who is a major English gun buyer in the US and a national known dealer this maybe be not such a good idea. My conversations with them today and yesterday may have changed my mind and with your kind replies that also helped.

I appreciate IT!!!!

Thanks fellows

More to follow. I might get a wild hair and try one or two

Best!

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally think it is a great idea. There are so many things that can go unoticed in English guns. I know from experience, I bought a few myself and I am no expert. I recently bought a nice sidelock by a well known London maker with new barrels made in Birmingham.I did not know they were replacemnet barrels and the dealer failed to mention it. Well everyone on this side of the pond threw rocks at it. But over there things like that are looked upon as no issue.
To have a well known dealer like John sell them I would beleive you would get a honest answer and up front on any issues.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Mike, I think its a good idea... unless its just too expensive to do it.

In most cases, I wouldn't re color case them. I like the looks of worn CC. Gives it character. Stock refinishing with a checkering redo is good. Re-blacking the barrels and opening up the chambers maybe? Once its all down, throw it in a low-end case.

What do good but worn Birmingham boxlocks go for at auction?

Adam

Last edited by Adam Stinson; 07/24/10 07:20 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.