May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R. Glenz, L. Brown, Jusanothajoe, Ted Schefelbein, prairie ghost), 717 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,639
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RHD45 #196869 07/23/10 02:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,
Thanks for the advice to view the picture in a larger format.

Glenn,
I agree, it does look like a Farrow sight. If it is, they adjust for windage at the apeture in a small arc. Some were critical of this design, but as an offhand shooter, I don't think this is a problem. Much easier to use than a windgage front sight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buttplate, stock profile and tang sight suggests the earlier Schutzen style European target rifles. Stock has all of the characteristics of European Walnut (Juglans regia).

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pix are larger in replly, thanks!

BTW: I'm about certain that is a cast-in-place babett/pewter/tin forend tip.

SDH-MT #196888 07/23/10 04:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I tried to find a Farrow sight picture last night with no luck but now have a link to one.

Farrow Sight

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the picture of the Farrow sight. From everything I have read about Farrow, everything he built was a one off. I think it is one of his.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have looked at a Farrow sight and find them to have a very high frustration potential. IIRC, when you changed the windage adjustment, you also made some changes in the elevation. Why would someone put a sight like that on a Krag? Looks to me as if you would have to fold the sight (and maybe change the sight settings) every time you opened the bolt. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

I'll come along with a tale about my Farrow, right after I post a tale about Terry Buffum's Krag in 22 RF.

Last edited by waterman; 07/23/10 10:30 PM.
waterman #196933 07/24/10 01:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Crazy thought: is there any very longshot possibility that Farrow made this Krag? I don't know when he made the SS rifles, the first Krags were 1894, but there can't have been many extra Farrow tang sights laying about. Does anyone recognize the buttplate ... Waterman, is it like your Farrow buttplate? Stock style?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alas, my Farrow does not have an original buttplate (long story). Hopefully, Terry Buffum will tell us if that looks to be an original. My thought is that the casting is too thin, that there was a lot more metal in a Farrow. The checkering does not look at all like the original checkering on my Farrow. Also, no cheek piece. I thought Farrow put a cheek piece on all the single shots.

What are the markings & SN of the Ky. Krag? That should tell you more or less when the action was made. Is it a 30-40? Ouch!

waterman #196942 07/24/10 08:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: waterman
Alas, my Farrow does not have an original buttplate (long story). Hopefully, Terry Buffum will tell us if that looks to be an original. My thought is that the casting is too thin, that there was a lot more metal in a Farrow. The checkering does not look at all like the original checkering on my Farrow. Also, no cheek piece. I thought Farrow put a cheek piece on all the single shots.

I've owned only one original Farrow and it had been rebarreled at some time, but its buttplate was very similar if not identical to the one shown. Same with the stock styling, checkering, grip's bottom S-curve, no cheekpiece, etc. Not saying the features were exactly identical but they were very similar. Possibly the builder had seen a Farrow or some other similar rifle and copied it. Since each Farrow was built as a one-off, it's very possible that the styling and features varied and even evolved somewhat over the years. My Farrow appeared to be an earlier one, it had the C-shaped mainspring.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

When were the Farrow SS rifles made?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.