March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 888 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rapidfire
That can happen. I just listed a used Benelli Camo buttstock for a SBE starting at 5 cents two weeks ago. Figured it would sell for at least 75 bucks (price a new one). It sold for the 5 cents. That wasn't a gun of course, but bottom line is it take 2 at least to bid something up when auctions start at 1 cent. PS. I don't think that would happen with any Parker, Fox, Ithaca, etc. Parts fall into a totally different category for sure.

$.o1 auctions are for sellers who get the guns and gun parts they have listed from consignors and have no cost invested.
When you pay for something, like your SBE stock, a reserve of $75 would have been the way to go. You must remember that anyone really wanting to buy a SBE stock may take weeks to even find your listing, so a reserve keeps it active until enough buyers can locate your item so you can at least get a fair shot of recovering at least a fraction of your cost in the item.
As it is, it could be very likely your SBE stock will show up again for sale by your buyer at starting bid of $75 and that will make you feel a little cheated.

You are indeed correct. However, I had nothing in the stock. It had been setting in a closet for probably 15 years. I mistakenly thought there might be a demand. Guessing there isn't much need for replacement SBE stocks, because they are just about indestructible.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore,

Well, I'm probably going to embarass myself here if you remember these guns. Even worse would be if you bought one, in which case you proably thought the guy you were bidding against had no idea of the value.

About six months ago, an L.C., 16ga., FWT, late '30s, 28", looked to be about 98%.

Around the same time, maybe the same auction, a Fox, 12ga., same period, same high percentage.

When GR started that shotgun collection a Mod. 21, Trap, very high percentage.

An L.C., 3E, 10ga. in remarkably high condition.

I did win one in the last sale that I'm picking up from my FFL today.

Scott works hard to find quality stuff.

It's a sad story. Did you buy the Parker 8ga.?

Last edited by QTRHRS; 07/29/10 02:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought the 16 gauge Smith in the recent auction was a wonderful gun. I fell asleep at the wheel and missed it. I don't remember the 3E 10 gauge or I would have been interested. PM me with your email address and tell me what gun you bought and I will reply and tell you which of the guns you mention that I bought. I have missed more than I have bought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that was a grade 2 LC Smith on that auction. It was very nice for sure. It was the same auction as the 8 gauge Parker and the grade 2 Colt I bought. He often has some very nice guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sweep,

I believe you are right. Congrats on the Colt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sweep
I believe that was a grade 2 LC Smith on that auction. It was very nice for sure. It was the same auction as the 8 gauge Parker and the grade 2 Colt I bought. He often has some very nice guns.

I don't know if you've had any reason to disassemble your Colt as of yet but,IMO; this has to be one of the simplest and best double designs ever. It's a shame that more wern't made and with modern stock dimensions and fluid steel barrels.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, I think I am going to add a comment to my listings on Gunbroker. I am going to say," Make a reasonable offer and we will talk"
How would that be?

Mike Proctor
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

.....Regarding marketing styles, one of our own "Clayws", has established a marketing style on GB that is a real eyecatcher. Most of his auctions are for quality arms (mostly vintage sxs,drillings,rifles) and guns you wonder where he got them. Descriptions and details are accurate and HONEST, photos are outstanding, usually outdoors with added elements of dogs,pheasants,sharptails and beautiful Montana scenery. Most all his auctions are .01 cent starts. I get nervous for him as I'd hate to see him take a beating on the sale. Seems to always make it happen. Clay is not a big player with lots of auctions, but I can always spot his auctions as his thumbnails reveal his classic photo style. I've purchased guns from him with never a thought or question to the integrity of his auctions. Last one was a Dixson and Son with Churchill 25" barrel. Paid a fair price and dearly love the gun. Clay is the real deal. All of us could take a few pointers from these successful marketers. I don't know if I have the buckeyes to give it a penny start. Here's one of Clays listings on GB, 182316273. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy, you're right about Scott. He's a quality seller. I bought a cape-gun from him a year or so ago in 12ga X .43 Mauser. I couldn't figure out how the heck the set trigger worked and he led me through it without making me feel like an idiot. Great gun...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think most buyers would object to seeing reasonable reserves that would protect a seller from seeing their Purdey go for $.01, but the permanent ad nauseum listing and re-listing of guns at totally unrealistic prices are an annoyance and a waste of our time.

I can only assume they are doing what I call sucker fishing... hoping some uneducated fool with more money than brains will bite. To me, this is about as ethical as offering some widow pennies on the dollar for her deceased husbands' gun collection.

You can't excuse either tactic.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.