March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Guys: I saw a beautiful custom .270 Mauser over the weekend. It had all the outward indications of a pre-war gun. Stock styling very similar to R.G. Owens Fleur de lys style [not arrowheads] checkering 32 l.p.i. and stock styling in beautiful hardshell French Walnut. Real ebony wood forearm tip and steel grip cap. Silver's recoil pad. Redfield Jr. pre war 7/8 in. mounts with pre-war Lyman ALASKAN. The giveaway is the action is a 1950 F.N. and the owner said under the barrel, the only hint to the maker are the initials T.P.C. and the date 1.1.51. Can anyone think of a master rifle maker [the stock was cut from a stick of French Walnut not machine made] from possibly the Colorado area, as that is where the rifle was purchased 4 years ago. I guess it could have been whomever barreled the action but I would think he would not have DATED A BARRELING. The rifle has plenty of honest wear but lovingly cared for. I had no camera that day and neither did he. He is an older fellow [so am I] but I am 58 and he is 76 and not technically savy, he has a Polaroid instant camera, they no longer make film for. So no photos available right now. TPC... who could it have been in 1951? Thanks Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plenty of "pretty good" custom rifle have been made at gunsmithing depts. of CO School of Trades and Trinidad. I made my first from a blank of walnut there in 1976 and many went before me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve: As you well know both schools started their Gunsmithing programs in 1947, I don't believe anyone could have picked up this level of finesse, sophistication and maturity in stockmaking in a mere 4 years. Come to think of it...that is until you showed up a mere 29 years later!!! Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Alvin Linden #1
the only hint to the maker are the initials T.P.C. and the date 1.1.51. I guess it could have been whomever barreled the action but I would think he would not have DATED A BARRELING. Thanks Jerry

Jerry, FWIW I date every bbl I install, hidden underneath the chamber section. Date, bbl maker, twist & bore size if not standard, specific chambering and my name. I've found that there are as many protocols for marking as there are smiths, everyone seems to have a different method(G).
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of guys marked one or two guns, some a few more, and some are worth researching. Here's a clue of my own hallmarks.

These are the four hallmarks I’ve used since about 1977 at Trinidad as struck in sheet lead. From left, a 1/8” x 3/16" commercial stamp with inset letters, next three hand-cut dies with raised letters. The two middle mostly on muzzleloading guns and the one at right since about 1993 and in current use measuring 1/8” x ¼”. The first struck in steel or silver, the middle in silver or gold and the last only in 24kt.

Most shotguns marked behind trigger. Most rifles in octagon barrel, some on action.

M/L guns on barrel breech. I still use the first stamp on benchmade tools and just a couple of shotguns were marked something like this.

I always do close-ups photos of signed guns that I photograph. but I have some good friend, with long careers doing great work who seldom mark, hide of disguise, or haphazardly sign custom work!!??!!

Hopefully all of this will make it a bit easier for future MP and Jerry types!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.