April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, CJ Dawe, Hammergun, David Williamson, PALUNC, 1 invisible), 426 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#197691 07/31/10 12:01 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11657

This gun has a lot going for it, if it is not a butchered gun. 30" 20's are rare around here, ejectors fairly rare. If factory, the 3" chambers even rarer. The refinish looks like a decent job. Would drive right over if I was in the area.

But what I am afraid of is the the 3" chambers are done later and that the chambers need to be evaluated. The letter should tell the story. Wish they posted a picture of the letter. Shooting 3" shells in a six pound gun makes my fillings hurt. Hope some one buy it soon so I can forget about it. I would buy it if I had not just sent a check off, the price for a new car, for my daughters college. Bad to be semi poor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon--

The refinish does not follow the factory work at all for a ....1924 made gun.....appears to be butchered up pretty bad, whoever did it never looked at an original gun or picture........or they had their own agenda.......

1. blued thumb lever, triggers and rib extension.....
2. bad bone charcoal cc or bad cold chemical job....original was hot cyanide colors, completely different....
3. cut stock and big fat rubber pad......
4. cut chambers most likely....
5. forearm is a late style wide Utica fatty type replacement....

Just for openers.....

After the pimp mods, it is now worth half or less than the asking.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

the gun has been completely refinished. the stock has been sanded down, trigger guard reshaped, juicy recoil pad added,......it has been restored to look like cz-huglu 'bobwhite'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24 has it nailed.

Reminds me of an early snap forearm 2nd generation AE-Grade 20-gauge my Father and I beat a hasty retreat from about 45 years ago. We answered an ad in the Seattle Times. Guy said he'd gotten the gun for his wife to go pheasnt hunting with him and had it bored out so she could use 3-inch shells. She didn't like it because it kicked too much!!!

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I understand the out of period refinish job. Most refinished doubles suffer from the same lack of standards in recreating a proper refinish. Shiny looks good to some, even when it was never original to the gun. Too many doubles have been hot dipped to make them shiny. I was looking at the gun as foundation for a custom gun. It has zero collectors value now and little as a custom gun project. The 3" chambers worry me more than the shiny finish. Safety first.

Problem is the 3" chambers may be a major mistake waiting to happen. Worse to me is the fact that 3" 20 kick like a mule. Why bother? Who ever buys this gun better measure the chamber areas extensively before they shoot it. I worry about how much metal remains. See the Baker post about thin chamber areas. Thin is not safe and 3" 20 shells are much higher pressure than those 12 shells that caused the Baker to fail. The 3" 20 is one of the least needed improvements in shotgun history. That project should have died on the drawing board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There might be something going on here that the store knows but is not mentioning. Shoulden't the store be asking a lot more for a 20ga. with ejectors and 30 inch barrels? Maybe those 3in. chambers have someone spooked that took this gun in.

Just my two cents, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Katie and Jessie
There might be something going on here that the store knows but is not mentioning. Shoulden't the store be asking a lot more for a 20ga. with ejectors and 30 inch barrels? Maybe those 3in. chambers have someone spooked that took this gun in.

Just my two cents, Gordon

Ummmm, this IS Cabela's.... wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

From what Ican see it looks like a torch job on the action. Rich

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the barrels were good, It would make a good project gun at about $500 less then what they are asking. I'd also like to see what that factory letter says. If it letters as a 3" I don't believe it would weigh what it does, because they would have used a heavier set of barrels to start with. Lots of weird things can happen to a gun in about 85 years.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto what Rich says. looks like a torch job.

Shame.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.