Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only NID I want back is a mint 32" vent rib 20 gauge field grade. It was one sleek gun. I let it go, turned it over to a friend who is only interested in 32" guns. The gun was probably made post 1950 from the most leftover of leftover parts, but fitted very well. It is quite a gun. My other Ithacas are Knicks in Victory, 4E, and 5E, wonderful guns all three.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked over a nice NID 3E 20 bore about 4 years ago at a gun show- smallish beavertail, pg with cap and red Sunbursting pad, SST, Ejectors- std. flat rib- Dealer said it had 28" barrels, but when I scaled them with my trusty Stanley tape rule- I got 26 & 5/8" each time- and you could see the hacksaw teeth marks faintly in the rib keels at the muzzle-

He was asking $2500 for it- I did ask permission to dis-assemble it- the numerical choke marks on the barrel flats were 3 for the right barrel and 4 for the left- or Imp. Mod and Full- so my guess is- some grouse hunter shortened the tubes to get more open patterns-

Did Ithaca NID's have the wide array of frame sizes as did the Parkers?

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The stock on clampdaddy's "star" variant is cranked down pretty low as JoE notes. Look back at Dustin's 16 from the thirties; much straighter comb; different idea on how to get the wood on the wood.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Hope you can hit anything with it...the stock dimensions look kinda sad.

I'm by no means a great shot but I'm lucky in that I can pick up most any shotgun and shoot it as mediocrely well as any other...except for one. My Browning Maxus. I bought it last duck season and I can break clay all day with it but I've had a heckuva time with it while hunting. Shimmed the stock and I still shoot high unless I have time to mount the gun and get the barrel lined up before the shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heck at the price you bought it for have the whole gun restocked to fit you. A field grade Ithaca 12 gauge ain't holding much value original or otherwise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My NID is a good reliable workhorse traditional double. I don't pretend this gun is a Purdy or Holland & Holland or any of the nice Italian doubles. It's an Ithica NID. If you can pick one up for +/- $500 to $1,000, it sure beats the heck out of paying the same money for a new 870 etc.
I recently had the chance to shoot a Maxus. A brand new line that is a Sporting Clays edition with the most beautiful grade of wood I have ever seen on an autoloader. It was the only one in this country. This was a really nice shooting gun, but I do not want to hijack this thread so I apologize for getting side tracked.

Originally Posted By: clampdaddy
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Hope you can hit anything with it...the stock dimensions look kinda sad.

I'm by no means a great shot but I'm lucky in that I can pick up most any shotgun and shoot it as mediocrely well as any other...except for one. My Browning Maxus. I bought it last duck season and I can break clay all day with it but I've had a heckuva time with it while hunting. Shimmed the stock and I still shoot high unless I have time to mount the gun and get the barrel lined up before the shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont want what I said taken out of context. I got the 3 Ithacas I mentioned from a local farmer, who had picked them up at farm sales over the years. They were too good to pass up at the price. I shot them, as I said, hunted them, and liked them. I didnt find anything ugly or particularly clumsy about them. BUT I am a Lefever guy,and dont keep much except those. FYI: I picked up a Parker from the same gentleman, didnt keep it eother...

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.