March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mills, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, Jimmy W, John E, 1 invisible), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know this is a dumb question, but I am looking to buy a fitted case for the shotgun I am buying and I am looking at Jeff's Outfitters or Quality Arms. Jeff's sells a canvas and leather for $189 and a leather for $299, while Qualtiy Arms has a Browning Gun Case - Presentation Grade: All Leather!! with the Browning log for $195.00 Any opinions?

Colin L. Kendall
Sidelock
Sidelock

The QA case only works well if you are buying a Browning! I have both canvas/leather and all leather cases from Jeff's and at least one leather case from Browning. They are all good, and I would go with the case that is the best fit for your gun. There is lots of variation in fit among SxS, O/U, and repeaters in the various cases from both sources. The Browning cases seem to be a bit bulkier than Jeff's cases, and if you are buying a SxS then the advantage goes to Jeff's because he can sell you a compact toe-under case in canvas or leather. It might come down to which case color you prefer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Replacement. I bought a Browning Motor Case for an O/U and it is supposed to be for an O/U or a SXS. The forend on the barrels moves aroundas and is clunky.Trying to make a case for both doesn't really get there. The case weighs more than a Jeff's case. It was am impulse buy that I wish I had not made.

Just my two cents, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention the gun I am buying is a Cortona Grandé Sport sporting clays model. It is an over and under. From what you have said, I will buy the canvas and leather case offered by Jeff's Outfitters.

Colin L. Kendall
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found those Browning Motor Cases on sale last fall at Bass Pro and was sorely tempted to buy one. Looked like a nice case for the money but was pretty bulky. I'm pretty sure Jeff has his cases made in Mexico and Browning sources theirs from China (now).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you guys advise what is the quality of the attachment of the inner blocking to the case floor for those offerred? How secure and permanent?

I am asking because I bought a new-made canvas-wood case (supposedly usa-made in PA, sold through a gun manufacturer) but found it sorely lacking because all of the segments were merely stapled into the floor. Once came loose via shipping w/ the gun in it, and you could pull all of them out w/ a tug of your fingertips; they didn't provide much stability to the gun. I returned it.
Pic enclosed of the one below which I found that had issues with its blocking:

Last edited by rrrgcy; 08/11/10 02:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy an Americase and be done with it.

The case is to carry and protect a gun. 'Look pretty' really doesn't enter into it, and the worst of all is a case so nice it needs it's own case!

The money for a 'display case' is better spent on ammunition.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not had any problems with the Jeff's cases nor with my newer Browning cases, but I treat them gently. Would not ship in them nor fly commercial with them. Have a couple of Americases and an SKB for that. The cases from Jeff's and Browning are fine for my purposes (mostly to make the guns look good and to keep relevant accessories like choke tubes with the gun when not in use). Galazan also makes some very nice cases, such as the one they ship with most RBL's, available separately for about $199.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just had to get in this. The Browning case I have available for sale at $195. will work with other o/u not just Browning as Replacement said. The Browning motor case that Jessie & katie mention was not made for a SBS. Someone told him wrong. Lastly replacement said Browning cases are made in China, they are not.

Best

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
The Browning case I have available for sale at $195. will work with other o/u not just Browning as Replacement said.

I did not mean that the Browning case would not hold another maker's gun, just that the Browning cases always seem to prominently display the Browning Buckmark logo and name, as does the lid of the case in question. I am, personally, not too enthusiastic about opening a cased Bernardelli or Beretta or even Miroku and looking at a Browning logo. I should have been more specific. I like some of the Browning cases so much that I have recovered the inside of the lid to hide the Browning logo, and have carefully removed the Browning markings from the outside of the cases (with mixed success on the outside markings).

Quote:
Lastly replacement said Browning cases are made in China, they are not.

I hedged my bet a little by prefacing my comment with "I'm pretty sure..." but you are correct. I pulled out my most recent Browning leather case and the tag says "Made in Mexico." My Browning boots say "Made in China" on the box. Still, a very nice case, and my favorite hunting boots are my Brownings.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.