May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (LRF, Jtplumb, Cobbhead, 3 invisible), 692 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,063
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#200803 08/26/10 01:30 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Here is a link to pictures of a Ruger No.1 project . Constructive critisism welcomed.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=731036&posted=1#post731036

Swarbrick #200809 08/26/10 02:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it's stunningly beautiful, but IMO the rear sight is about 7" too far back. An open sight is most visible to aging (or young, FTM) eyes when placed up nearer the front end of the forearm. YMMV but I bet if you try it that way you'll like it.

I especially like the use of the Leupold QR mounts but you may end up with eye relief issues. The No 1 is notorious for requiring either a scope with long eye relief or else some sort of extension rings.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

What JDS said. This is a common error. I think cause is that the express sight is thought of more as a cosmetic accessory, to make the rifle conform to Brit or Euro style, without considering it as a practical sighting device. Also, it is easier to fit it into the middle of a short rib than to extend the rib down the barrel. In any case, the back mounted express sight is not nearly as useful as it would be further down the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Swarbrik!
Looks like high quality craftsmanship, especially the metalwork, somewhat provincial in styling. Nice Rifle!

Where's Duncan, BC? I looked on a decent map?

SDH-MT #200836 08/26/10 05:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it and would, as others have said, moved the rear sight forward.

I would reverse the cartridge trap.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

SDH-MT #200840 08/26/10 06:19 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks gentlemen, You are right about the placement of the express sight. It was more the aesthetic look than functionality. When an older man see's a good looking woman his brain switches back to when he was 20 years old but his body parts remain old. Same with placing the rear sight, I was thinking 20 years old. You are right, I can't see the darn thing anymore! Had a hell of a time regulating it. It's certainly a point I'll remember before building another one. Scope relief was figured in before the quarter rib design and the owner wanted it mounted as low as possible. Placing the sight in front of the scope would have required high rings if he changed to a bigger or longer scope in the future. It has lots of relief where it is placed and can still be moved ahead. Other brands of scope may pose a problem. I have to lean into it at 6x to get full field of view and so does the owner. It's certainly a point I'll remember before building another one though. Geez, I'm repeating myself. I found many more points to remember, one being that Rugers systems are a lot more complicated than a Mauser.
Duncan is northwest of Seattle on Vancouver Island.

Swarbrick #200842 08/26/10 06:37 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Reversing the cartridge trap would have placed the sing swivel too far forward with this design of trap. If I ever do another one I will certainly place it to the rear but I haven't figured out how to keep the sling swivel further back yet. Another one of my points to remember....I stopped drilling to double check the depth of the front hole and couldn't complete the hole for a cartridges OAL. It would have gone through the top of the stock. The front hole is for the snap cap or firearms license (which has to be carried with a firearm in Canada). That's my story and the owners good with it!

Swarbrick #200845 08/26/10 06:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like cartridge traps, here's one I did on a low wall. Notice that I installed it as far forward as possible, to permit placing the sling swivel stud as near the center of the belly as possible. The width of this particular trap precluded having its cavities at the rear.

Next one will be a different trap configuration and will be reversed, just to see what it looks like in that position. IMO the sling mount should be as close to center of the belly as possible for best carry position.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Swarbrick,

wow ! I have always had, in the long list of needs/wants a No 1 Ruger to add to the collection but never saw one,until yours,that said buy me !

I live about 20 miles from where they build them (not like that one of course!)and not far from NECG as well (neat little New England town and a never would guess that's where they are location).

excellent job !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love cartridge traps and I don't have a single rifle that has one. I like JD's but frankly, for a .22, the cartridge trap of all time that I lust after is one that appears in SDH's first book on a low wall. Unfortunately, finding a decent set of parts to make one like that, or the skill to make one like that from the poor castings that available is beyond me at this time. Maybe someday.

Steve, post a picture of that .22 with the cap box trap. It is the cats' meow in .22 cartridge traps - and damn practical too.

Just a personal testimonial from someone that doesn't have one but dreams about one every night.

Brent

PS I saw that rifle in MSP one day. At the Museum of Art. Damn...

Last edited by BrentD; 08/26/10 08:07 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.