April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Marplot, Hammergun, Drew Hause, Hal M Hare), 1,195 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your blade must be very sharp and have lots of teeth too. I use a Freud 80 tooth carbide trim blade and masking tape. I like the idea of scribing first with a razor or x-acto knife, especially on the off side of the cut. You want to slice the wood fibers, not rip them out.

If you use a table saw as I do, it helps to make a sled that rides in the mitre guage slot. Then you can shim and lightly clamp the stock to get a square cut at the exact pitch you desire.

Power saw blades must have no runout in order to get a clean cut. Years back, a buddy bought a used radial arm saw that splintered every cut, even with good new blades. We found that the previous owner must have allowed the saw to slam into the table when he loosened it to adjust the angle. The motor shaft was bent at the blade end which gave a slight wobble at the cutting edge. It was only about .015" as I recall, but was enough to cause tearout. Fine for framing, but useless for finish work.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I made a sled for a bansaw. I found that the bansaw blade is not as thick as a table saw and you can go really slow to cut along the taped line.For me there is more control. I made my sled with four adjustable stops to cut any size stock. If anyone would like to see some Pictures let me know.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gordon, I sure would like to see the pictures of your sled.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One more tip regarding the splintering prevention: When you remove the tape, don't pull it off at right angles to the stock, pull it off in line with the comb, as if you were pulling the stock off, straight to the rear. (hope this makes sense)

Last edited by Jim Legg; 09/12/10 06:09 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also use a 14tpi blade on an old Milwaukee Delta bandsaw. No tearout of long grain or finish, slight ragout at bottom of cut which, if you cut 1/16 off scribe, can easily be faired or "shot" with the best abrasive plane of all--3x24 belts (80 or 100 grt)on a sanding block. Walnut is pretty soft after all. Don't really need a sled but I do stick a couple of blocks of wood or a wedge to one face of stock with 2S tape to protect and jack the cut line up to vertical. I have 10" radial arm, 12" chop, a 10" Unisaw, a Langdon Acme mitre box, 36 yrs. of experience in the woodbotching trades, all my digits, and I don't shorten finished stocks on any of these.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
One more tip regarding the splintering prevention: When you remove the tape, don't pull it off at right angles to the stock, pull it off in line with the comb, as if you were pulling the stock off, straight to the rear. (hope this makes sense)

Makes complete sense. If you remove the tape to the rear and there are any loose splinters they'll likely stay attached and you can glue them back down without a trace.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all. Some good ideas here. I especially like the idea of scoring the scribed line with a sharp blade to cut through the surface grain. I've cut other buttstocks this same way and never encountered this problem, but always with dense walnut. Thanks to all.

postoak, I used a Uncle Mike's red rubber rifle pad, which had a black hard base. Looks good on there. The reason I stayed away from the nicer pads like the Decelerators, etc. is that they have a metal insert that prevents grinding away large amounts around the periphery. This pad had no insert, the black base is it's support. By the time I cut the stock down enough to end up with a 12 1/2" pull the base of the butt was pretty small, which required grinding away a lot of pad. Turned out great, though.

Here's the pay-off. This afternoon I took Jackson out to the field with the new gun, and the old Comet r/c trap. I let him get the feel of holding it awhile at shoulder, then let him dry fire a bit to get the feel of the triggers (which aren't great). I then hung some clays on some tree limbs and let him break them from about 15 yards, stationary. Then I loaded up the trap for the real deal. I told him to premount the gun on clay birds until he gets better at mounting, showed him a couple of clays in the air, pushed off the safety and told him to keep his finger out of the trigger guard until he saw the clay. When the first bird left the trap he crunched it about 25 yds. out. I was beside myself! He didn't fully realize what he had done, and though he missed the next several nothing will take away the memory of seeing his first clay bird shot at break with that new gun. I'll never forget it, I know that. After a short session we called it quits for the day. Being old enough to have a grandson has it's benefits!!

Grandpa Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buff on a coat of wd40 ,before you tape off, at least two thickness ,and you wont pull up splinters.
Plus of course a " mitre" saw blade fine tooth,and you rock it back and forth before you break out the bottom[hardly no down pressure,just the weight of the saw]

look

Last edited by yobyllib; 09/12/10 08:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan: This is what it's all about in the "Grandpa" arena. I have four grandchildren and have had the pleasure of introducing two to shooting at my club. They have to be at least 8 years old so I have two more to go. I know were wandering off subject here but the most important legacy IMO we can leave is to introduce the younguns to the positive side of firearms ownership.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.