April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (LeFusil), 549 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,086
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#203224 09/19/10 08:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It seems like it is very popular to upgrade Sterlys (as seen on this very forum) and low grade Parkers into customized firearms. I have also seen a few LC Smith upgrades. That said, I can't say I have seen any Lefever upgrades. I have heard of people trying to fake an Optimus, but what about using a Lefever as a platform for something else? Have you seen any? Anyone have any pictures? How well were internals of the lower grade Lefever's finished?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have never seen a "full" custom Lefever. The most "custom" you are going to encounter would probably be restocks. My theory as to why there arent many custom Lefevers would be overrall rarity. From the guns I've had apart (grades C thru DS), they all had the same amount of internal fit and finish regardless of grade.

Internals of a FE

Internals of a DS

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got back from Partridge hunting in Saskatchewan, so am "foggy" on Lefevers , but it looks to me that your sear spring is upside down. Shot a nice HE 20 ga for huns and sharpies, but have not taken the gun apart to look. Of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/20/10 09:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Just got back from Partridge hunting in Saskatchewan, so am "foggy" on Lefevers , but it looks to me that your sear spring is upside down. Shot a nice HE 20 ga for huns and sharpies, but have not taken the gun apart to look. Of cours, I could be wrong.

Daryl, I know this is a bit off topic but how was the bird life? I canceled my usual trip this week for the southwest part of the province because of the heavy rainfall and poor reports earlier in the summer. Hopefully it wasn't as bad as I have been fearing.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, the sear springs are upside down. My sears have a definite mark where the forward end rode and where the bend fit into the little crook on the aft end.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good eye Daryl, they "were" indeed upside down. Foo-pa on my part when re-assembling the guns, took approx two seconds to put the springs in the correct position...funny thing...trigger pulls didnt change with the springs in the "in-correct" position.

Anyways...as you can see, the internal finish isnt much different if at all. When you open up your HE Daryl, the finish work on the internals will look just like these two, guaranteed. reb87 and I took apart his H, a couple G's & GE's, DS and CE and it was just like the two pictured here.

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 09/19/10 10:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know of a full custom under construction which is getting carved fences, stepped locks etc, but will NOT look like a high grade factory gun.

I own a 20 with custom wood and engraving and a second set of European made barrels, but no significant modifications to metal contours. It was originally an H. It does not approach the quality of the higher grade factory guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are at least 5 fake Optimus Lefevers out there. Out of a projected 125 made we only know of about 45 genuine Optimus grade guns. There are genuine Optimus guns out there. However, the fakes have outnumbered the "real" ones out there on the market recently. An Optimus was sold on auction this weekend. However, we don't know anything about it's authenticity.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe Lefevers are a bit old for customizing. The typical Lefever you run accross will be a couple decades older than a typical sterly, and many of the Lefevers will sport damascus/twist/laminated barrels. Sterlys have fluid steel barrels.

Probably most custom guns are made for the paticular fancies and desires of the owner, and only a few to fake a higher grade. Right or wrong, the fluid steel barrels will appeal to more owners. It is easier to find spare parts for a sterly which is also appealing.

And the Lefever design is unique and intersting in its own right. Nothing unique about a sterly or trojan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know of a set of four being highly customized to match. High grade wood, very nice engraving on re-shaped frames, re-struck barrels, etc. And yes, one each 12, 16, 20, and .410.

sv

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.