March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was tough rolling down 301 at 59mph Thurs. morning with three other cars and a coal truck. My gas mileage went up five mpg. I left at 7:30 and arrived by 9AM. Not much to complain about except the school buses in Middletown DE. Even the bloody cornfields at PPt weren't blowing away. It's great belonging to the Blest but I still luved Sandanona and pts. west on the Hudson.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
CptCurl, I also seem to remember that the long trip to Millbrook was less stressful than the trip to Pintail Point, but I think I have the reason pinned down.

Bill, you are quite right. We sure had some good times on the road, at the Orvis facility, and at the Willows.

Curl

DGM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think the location is the underlieing problem. The Vintage Cup was shrinking in attendance and vendors its last years at Sandanona as well. Signature events like the Concours de Elegance were already being dropped.

Moving it to new locations regularly could create some opportunities to reach out to new people, but fundamentally other things would also need to change, particularly the cost for vendors and visitors, and more needs to be done to bring in new people.

Unlike the organizers of the Southern and Great Northeast shoots, the Vintagers are a nonprofit organization with dues paying members and a Board of Directors responsible for growing the organization.

If they want to return to growth, the Vintagers Board should solicit input and involvement from its members.

I'd like to see them hold a board meeting at the next Vintage Cup and ask the membership to provide input. There are a lot of members with exceptional business and other experience who would love to help turn this around and get it growing again.

Many of these members could bring some fresh ideas and new energy to the Vintager Board as well if they were asked to help.

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

DGM #204893 10/04/10 06:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't disagree with some of the thoughts expressed about how to grow the Vintage Cup, but it appears some folks have the wrong idea about it being a "Vintager" event. The Vintagers organization may be a non-profit organization, but the Vintage Cup is not owned by the Vintagers Organization. It is a for-profit venture owned by Ray Poudrier (and others perhaps, I don't know) and he can do what he wishes with it. It is of course promoted as an event to be appealing to Vintager members. I was also under the misapprehension that the two were connected until Ray set me straight a couple of years ago. The only formal connection is Ray himself.

Personally, I enjoy the event very much, and intend to go as long as it is held, and don't think it needs to be a huge extravaganza to be successful.

DGM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ZZ Flyer
I don't disagree with some of the thoughts expressed about how to grow the Vintage Cup, but it appears some folks have the wrong idea about it being a "Vintager" event. The Vintagers organization may be a non-profit organization, but the Vintage Cup is not owned by the Vintagers Organization. It is a for-profit venture owned by Ray Poudrier (and others perhaps, I don't know) and he can do what he wishes with it. It is of course promoted as an event to be appealing to Vintager members. I was also under the misapprehension that the two were connected until Ray set me straight a couple of years ago. The only formal connection is Ray himself.

Personally, I enjoy the event very much, and intend to go as long as it is held, and don't think it needs to be a huge extravaganza to be successful.

I'm really reluctant to comment because I don't know the facts, but the "formal" connection is the stated nonprofit Vintager website largely dedicated to promoting and registering people for the event, with checks made out and sent to the Vintagers.

Let's hope your information is wrong for a number of reasons.

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago, for the first few years the Vintages was started, Ray wanted me to set up. I did not. A few years ago I put a pencil to it to figure if I should now reconsider.

Here is what I remember as to costs and time.

Total time to drive up & back and at the show 10 days.

Table $800-1000.

Hotel: a modest one. includes 4 hotels on road and up there.

$1050.

Meals: $500.00

Gas $280.00. Not counting wear and tear on car or other expenses.

That is the very bare mininum

So close to a $3000. bill just at the get go. And 2 very hard days driving each way.

So, I said to a couple of friends of mind who set up there in the past.:

Can I go and be guaranteed $20,000- $30000 in sales ( for my up front investment and long road time, and out of the shop for 10 days) and they said "no"
So why do I want to go?

I would love to meet new people and see some folks that I have done business over the phone and say hello, but it still has to be profitable too.

I think this is why you are seeing less vendors.

Best

John Boyd
Quality Arms

Last edited by arrieta2; 10/04/10 07:00 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY! For the same reason that I don't set up at gun shows any longer. Too much wear & tear & too little profit.

Best Regards, George Lander

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

John and George, we know why you don't want to go. Don't try to transfer your financial woes to other vendors who have a good time and make money. Those who continue to exhibit at side by side events have something to sell at a price shooters and collectors will pay. You guys either don't have anything to sell or your prices are not attractive. I think our readers know which of you has which problem. Selling Ariettas at retail is not what the Vintagers is all about. Neither is selling tired old guns at twice retail. Both of you have nice guns, but not of interest to attendees at the Vintagers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore:

Maybe you are right. I do a large Arrieta business. But as some others have said the amount of vendors has decreased.

Holland, A & S, Mid-South, Fieldsport, plus others were not there. I do not think they sell Arrietas and they we not there

???

Best

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, you said it all when you more than implied that you insist on a $20,000 to $30,000 guarantee before you will come. I don't think Ray can give you that.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.