April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (dblgnfix, Stanton Hillis, SKB, Pwog), 183 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,432
Posts544,706
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#203914 09/25/10 10:00 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I sent my wood and my receiver to be restocked months ago via USPS. It's been a while so I decided to call the stockmaker to get a progress check. Never got it! Money order has never been cashed. Went to the USPS facility that I shipped it from and they did a tracking report on it. Seems it was scanned in, but they have no other record of where it went from there, and they should have a record of every facility it went to on it's trip. "It just vanished", was what i was told. They gave me a bunch of forms to fill out but I got the feeling from them that they are not even going to try to find it, they are just going to pay the claim and insurance. Any idea as to how to get them to really look for this? It's a nice graded Dan lefever and now all I have is two sets of barrels. a forend iron and a trigger guard. Should BATF be involved at any point?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bad!!!!!!!!!!! I sold a 20 sterlingworth and it took over two weeks to get to Washington state priority mail.I ship mostly registered mail now and they can track it better.I hope they find it. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

DT & bb: Use Fed Ex and avoid that problem. I have shipped hundreds with 100% results.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I realize that here are better methods, but thanks for the info. What I really need to know is what are my options? Should BATF be involved at all. Can I do anything to make them look a little harder? I sell on evilbay all the time and use USPS all the time, have for years. This is the first time they have ever screwed up. I'm just surprised at their nonchalant attitude about finding it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never use the USPS! Use a continuous tracking carrier like UPS or Fedex. You can watch it move across the country with tracking updates. The Post Office can not give you tracking service until the item arrives, if it does. Besides, at that point, the receiver of the package can tell it you it arrived.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK OK I GET IT. Don't use USPS. But I have, what do I do now?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Going to disagree here, as long as you use the USPS REGISTERED MAIL there's no safer way to ship as it must be signed for every step of the way and if it goes missing they know exactly on whose watch it went missing. Sounds like perhaps you didn't send it REGISTERED MAIL though if all they can tell you is they accepted it.

Sure, UPS and Fedex are better if you get your jollies from watching reports online about where your gun is, but try to get paid when it goes missing. The USPS will honor your claim. I had UPS break the stock on a $100 air rifle. It took about a dozen phone calls to the CEO's office and I had to threaten them with small claims court before they paid up. They figured it was cheaper to pay than send a lawyer.

I suppose you can report it to BATF but if it wasn't registered they might only be able to tell you what you already know.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dubbletrubble, you might as well scratch that one up as lost. By some small miracle it may be sitting in some corner of a postal facility overlooked by all--and show up some day. Bet'cha it wasn't stolen in the PO. Very unusual to loose a parcel through the USPS. I normally ship plain old Priority Mail and have never had a problem. Oh, I always purchase the "signature requirement" so the postman has to personally hand it to the receiver rather than leave it on the doorstep.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your gun is gone, especially after this long in the system. Possibly someone stole it, but that will never be proved. No way to make USPS DO anything.

BATF shouldn't be involved as it's not a BATF issue.

Sorry about your loss. I hope you had great insurance, although nothing will ever replace your loss.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post the serial number of the gun. If it shows up somewhere maybe one of the watchdogs from the LACA will pick up on it. We are pretty diligent about collecting serial numbers.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.