March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gunning Bird, SKB, Travis S, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The early Ithaca beavertails were short and bulky, but about 1935 they started making much nicer looking beavertails.

A 1930 20-gauge and a 1936 12-gauge, both No. 4E --

Ithaca also used a nice looking beavertail on their Lefever A-Grade --

During the Savage years, Fox had a Trap beavertail --

and a Skeet/Field style beavertail --

Last edited by Researcher; 10/01/10 11:42 PM.
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: colin.kendall
I understand Parker was the one of the first, if the not the first to introduce them for their skeet and trap guns.

The "bulky fore-end" of the Parker SBT was standard from the intro in about 1915 (all the ads show the non-splinter fore-end and a straight grip and no safety). This was a dedicated trap gun.

Quoting myself from Parker Guns: The "Old Reliable" @ p.71: "The beaver-tail or trap-style fore-end became an extra-cost option in 1923, probably due to the demands of Parker's modern trapshooting clientele." My research was to Parker advertising, catalogs, flyers, etc. The Parker Story published the actual production records, and may move this date slightly back, but I'll stick with 1923 until I hear otherwise. It is doubtful that Parker was first, and the first Parker beaver-tails were defective in-so-far as they were too much wood to grip with too little metal structure. This was quickly corrected with the large screw seen at the front of the BTFE, which braces the wood internally to the barrel clasp. There may have been a recall, as I have never seen a factory original BTFE without the metal bracing screw. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

After introduction of the Smith Double Barrel Trap gun in 1920, the 'Trap Package' included a beavertail Schnabel forend with the reinforced barrel lug, Automatic Ejectors, Hunter One-Trigger, standard recoil pad, and two ivory sights.
Images of the Smith BTFEs here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/15656750

And the Smith "Steamline" Skeet BTFE, introduced in 1929, here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18779715

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.