March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, SKB, 1 invisible), 676 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#204847 10/04/10 10:03 AM
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm really out of my element on this gun. I got a call and am going to look at an E M Reily 12 bore today. All I know right now is it has 28" barrels, chambers are 2-1/2", POW grip, and barrels are Nitro steel. It's supposed to be in excellent shape. From what I understand Reilly marketed guns that were mage by others. Is this correct? Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? Thanks in advance for any replies. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers:
E. M. Reilly was a VERY prestigious London maker. Their quality and style competed directly with Purdey... who was just down the street from the Reilly shop.

They probably sourced the major bits from Scott or others -- but so did most other makers. It's the man who filed them and fitted them who makes the difference.

Any Reilly in good condition is a gun to treasure. I've owned several... and still have a few.

A plus would be original 28-inch barrels, but even then who cares if the overall condition is good.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Reilly's I've handled never compared to a Purdey.

Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok I just got back from checking out the gun. Here are some pics. I'm pretty much a Fox guy, but have a mild interest in this game gun. Of course I know I should tender the lowest possible offer, but realistically, what should this gun bring?

Last pic shows the trigger plate screws are out of time, but the triggers are crisp and hammers have nice drops. Also, bottom of f/e iron has owner's name scratched very lightly in the metal. It could be buffed out rather easily. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Silvers:
E. M. Reilly was a VERY prestigious London maker. Their quality and style competed directly with Purdey... who was just down the street from the Reilly shop.

They probably sourced the major bits from Scott or others -- but so did most other makers. It's the man who filed them and fitted them who makes the difference.

Any Reilly in good condition is a gun to treasure. I've owned several... and still have a few.

A plus would be original 28-inch barrels, but even then who cares if the overall condition is good.

Best, Kensal

Prestigious maybe, as good as Purdey, I dont think so. I'm not even sure if Reilly even made one gun in house, I believe most if not all of their guns were outsourced. I do not believe Reilly bought parts and assembled and finished guns, I believe they bought finished guns. I think its probably safe to say the most guns bearing the Reilly name were finished to a higher standard than other guns of similar quality. I read somewhere that most double rifles bearing the Reilly name were built and finished by S.A. Leonard & Sons.

A nice gun, but it aint no Purdey! Most definately a Birmingham built gun, but carries London proofs. Something that would've been available in Reilly's store for purchase right off the "rack".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers, I have a Reilly boxlock ejector similar to what you pictured, but with a better grade of engraving, from what I could see of your pictures. My Reilly's a 'sleever', but almost invisibly done and well balanced. I paid $1,250 for mine, and I don't think your is worth appreciably more.

Before Reilly was bought out by Rigby or whoever about 1915 (Fact Check: Reilly was absorbed by Riggs, not Rigby, in '17, not'15; maybe I ought to leave the history to the bright guys around here), they seem to have sold a lot of pretty run-of-the-mill Brummie boxlock guns. I think that's what you've found. They did supply some very fine guns in the late 19th century. Just a free opinion, but you did ask for it...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 10/04/10 03:41 PM. Reason: fact check
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:
With all due respect to LeFusil and Homeless, the Reillys I've owned may not have been Purdeys but they were bloody close. I suppose it depends on the empirical experience one has.
This gun is a base level example built on a Scott action and not at all in the league I refer to. Yet it's still a fine gun for what it is.
Observation of fact: It was Reilly who bought Rigby. Not the other way 'round.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder where it was being exported to seeing it has "Made in England" something on the water table??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers - if you are interested, I have incorporated quite a bit of EM Reilly history in the attached thread where several forum members kindly contributed some valuable input and comment.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=158339&page=1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Friends:Observation of fact: It was Reilly who bought Rigby. Not the other way 'round.
Best, Kensal

According to Nigel Brown, E.M. Reilly continued to do business under several Reilly company names untill 1917, when Reilly was absorbed by Charles Riggs and Co.(not Rigby). May be that neither one of us can keep the facts straight in our heads...Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.