Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno, I just read something in an early Lefever catalog or advertisement about holding the action closed with bare hands after removing locking devices. The shooter was able to hold the barrels down while firing, due to the close fit of the doll's head extension.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Jim, seems like you always want an arguement. I only brought the paint stick up as a reference to some that think that dirt, fowlings etc. will not be attracted to the grease or oil. The example of the paint stick, grease on top, then oil film, then nothing, a little wind with dirt blowing around or a mouse, and see what is stuck to the stick. I'll bet the grease and the oil have particles in them, and the part with nothing has just that, nothing.
By the way the sticky mouse paper is not going to catch a mouse if there is nothing to "attract" him on to it.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

The story of holding the action closed with the thumb just proves there is no great force at work, that's trying to break the gun open. It says nothing about the hook and pin not having a very important job to do.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually it was a demonstration done by Winchester extolling their design of their then new Winchester Model 21.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, Geno,
Are you going to keep "swindling" us with tall tales of how great your PTFE gun lubricants are?
The chairman of Duponts comments notwithstanding?
I think you and jOe should get together to milk a sperm whale, and add PTFE to whatever you get out of the whale-must be a million suckers that would pay lots of dollars for the, uh, result-twicebarrel comes to mind, anyway.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, tommorow I will make one photo of one old hinge pin, that has been replaced and messurements for you to understand, that there is nothing involved in pin wearness besides greese with "dust" and open-close movements.
BTW, don't you know clay shooting guns is allways remain in better condition, than hunting ones, though clay guns shoot much more rounds. What d'you think why is that?

Ted, come back here when you'll get smarter and not so ugly.

Geno.
Geno #208742 11/11/10 09:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

3-in-1 + petroleum jelly = RIG. Well it's the same color anyway and mixed in a RIG can, it's hard to tell the difference. That's why I still have my RIG can long after I ran out of RIG. Let us all be vigilant in fighting pin wearness! Actually, it was J. M. Browning or Val or the cleaning lady who fired a Super (genuine B-25 to you, Genady) with the lock block removed and no negatives such as violent rotation about the hinge pin. I currently prefer something slick and thin and Mobil synthetic racing oil pleases me and if it don't please the gun, well it doesn't squeak enuf to get the grease.

jack

rabbit #208746 11/11/10 09:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

3-in-1 is actually a vegetable oil and petroleum oil blend, if'n it's in the red can-the blue can, with a car or engine on the front, is straight petroleum oil.
Schwinn bicycle company, late of Chicago, IL had a warning against using 3-in-1 on their bike chains or in their three speed hubs, built by Sturmey Archer, due to that fact.
I think it works great for lube while drilling holes, and keep a squirt can of it on the drill press table.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those interested, I would refer you to Don Zutz’s book, “The Double Shotgun” where in Chapter 7 he goes into detail about the three key stresses placed on a double when fired. These are axial force down the bore, radial force which is around the hinge pin and bending force which goes from the breech face through the hinge pin. He specifically says the “radial force pertains to the rotational movement of the barrel assembly around the hinge or knukle pin of a drop-barrel shotgun.” He further says that the “single most important job of a double’s bolting system is minimizing the bending force’s impact on the action frame.” In all cases, the force of this bending goes through the hinge pin, hence the issue of high pressure for short duration. A similar explanation is also in "American Shotgun Design and Performance" by Wallack.
On a Win 21, the water table is unusually long and reduces the bending force by changing the lever arm that is exerted on the action which is why this is one of the strongest double actions. It probably also explains why this can be held closed.
Thanks
Z

zwego #208763 11/12/10 12:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no idea who was the first to ever fire a break open double with the bolts removed, "BUT" both W W Gereener & D M Lefever stated it as fact long before Win was making a 21 or Browning was making a Super. I don't have a 21 at hand to measure, but I believe the bar on a Lefever is equally as long, if not longer. The 21 of course has absolutely nothing in its design to contain the axial thrust except the hinge pin. The Lefever design assisted it with his square shouldered Doll's Head, with the bolt at the top to also help resist frame bending.
One Shoe don't fit every foot when you go talking gun design.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.