May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (KY Jon, cable, Argo44, CJ Dawe, 2 invisible), 462 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,505
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a number of original English oak and leather gun cases that need to have the leather re conditioned. The leather is dark on them, is dried out, and some scuff marks are present. What is the proper way to restore them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

First cleaning with soapy water, then drying, then applying animal oil (oil that made from animal joints).

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saddlery shops are a good place to start to find what you need. I start with leather car seat cleaner and then finish with a saddle preparation to feed the leather. You get a good clean shine without losing the patina of age. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to start with a glycerin based soap wash and then an oil for dark leather or one of the white creams for light colored leathers. If it has dirt in/on tight areas, a soft bristle brush or even a small toothbrush will help when cleaning.

I found this cream to be the best of the creams I've tried. Being a horse nut for about 10 yrs, I tried all kinds of leather cleaners and conditioners. http://www.eliswesternwear.com/western/p...anerConditioner

Sidelock
Sidelock

LD1:
Old leather can only be "helped" so much. It has a finite life. A cleansing with saddle soap, light touch up of scuffs with a good dye, and a final work-in of Pecard dressing is about all I do. And about all that's probably doable. For straps, a good soak in PURE neatsfoot oil is often helpful. Get this at shoemakers or saddle shops. The stuff at the hardware is not good.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

i recently found a product called weaver leather creme. it is expense, but works well. also, kiwi leather lotion works. and then there is wally's original leather conditioner for dry, cracked leather. it works wonders, as does most of wally's products. speaking of wally, saw and chatted with him at a gun show in pa recently. he is still going strong. anybody who has regularly attended gun shows in the north east anytime during the last 50 years must remember wally?

Last edited by ed good; 11/10/10 07:40 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Listen to Kensal. I can tell he knows leather. When leather is dry and cracked it is finished. Ed, even the torch won't help it.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like the lads above said..if its so dry n messed up , & you can tear it like thin cardboard , it's done!
But i have a nice soft style LO Mutton Water Buff' case I have been treating for years w/ Olive Oil, & it seems to work great
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago, I read an article with photos showing a pair of wing tip shoes that were hand made for Prince Charles. The interesting part is that the leather hide was from the hold of a sunken ship from the 18th century. Obviously, the Englishman who worked/restored this leather and made the shoes knew what he was doing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Olive Oil crazy.....Worse comes to worse you can chop it up and eat it in a salad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.