May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toby Barclay, Lloyd3, SKB, 1 invisible), 518 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,429
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

1 1/16 Brit 6's gives essentially the same pellet count as 1 1/4 oz American 6's. It's an excellent pheasant load, over good dogs. In a light 12, I usually back it with a 1 1/8 oz reload of American 6's in the tighter barrel, about the same as Steve's 1 1/16 oz formula.

I think the best patterning 12ga standard factory load I ever used was the old Super Pigeon formula: 3 1/4 DE, 1 1/4 oz, about 1220 fps. Hard to find in 6 shot these days in a good quality shell, unfortunately. I did pattern some Federal Flyers against both the hotter 3 3/4 DE (1330 fps) loads, and also against the really hot new stuff. The 1220 fps loads showed a slight advantage over the 1330 fps, and a greater one over the really fast loads. I seldom shoot anything that heavy, but that's what I would look for if I were buying off the shelf ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WW209, 26 gr. HERCO, SP-12, 1 1/4oz BPI nickel #5, once fired STS case.

You gonna kill pheasants, or you gonna mess around?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am still working on my stash of 1-1/4oz of S&B No 6s. Sometimes I'll stick a No 5 in the left barrel for the long shots.

ratt Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hey Guys,

My original post was an attempt at humor after the board had its extended down time but it appears that these types of questions- despite being held in general disdain- do evoke a strong response. Truth be told, I have been shooting 3 inch, 1 Ľ oz of buffered 6s and 5s (copper plated Federals or nickel plated Fiocchis) out of my SKB/Weatherby 20 ga, 26” O/U for 20+ years. I initially began using these loads in a quest for “magnumitis” typical of an unmentored upland newbie. What I found was that I enjoyed a high rate of success shooting these out of a SK/IC combo of chokes at wild west Kansas roosters over my setter who was an absolute pheasant savant. Even with a limit of 4 birds/day, there were never enough trigger pulls in a day to make recoil an issue. My current setter has more modest abilities in pinning pheasants so I‘ve changed my choke combo to IC/MOD out of the same gun. I’m currently on a 9 for 9 streak of 1st barrel (IC) kills. The general consensus has always been that 1 oz is all that is necessary for pheasants and that a 1 oz load throws superior patterns out of a 20 bore. This well may be true but I’m sticking with my tried and true loads in keeping with the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” adage. Out of my new Rizzini Round Body EL, I intend to use the same Federal and Fiocchi shells but in 1 oz loads so I don’t subject the gun to the potentially damaging effects of heavy recoil. I do appreciate the variety of responses to my whimsical inquiry.

ratt

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.