March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ya- In MI- Frankenmuth (near Saginaw) most likely has the greatest concentration of folks of Germanic descent-Many years ago the old Carling brewery was going strong- a heavy competitor to the Stroh Brewery in Detroit- about 90 miles South. Carling Black label was a fine Pilsner beer- much like Budweiser, Pabst, Miller and Schlitz- and very popular. I grew up on Cincinnati Creme with their old "Ask for the handsome waiter" logo, but my Granddad liked Altes- German word for the 'topmost" or "peak" of flavor- as opposed to the other word Haupt- meaning the highest up the ladder-- Almost all those pilsner beers are either gone, or the original breweries have been swallowed up by the "Big Three"- Anheuser-Busch, Miller and Jacob Coors--

But the old Carling brewery is back up and running as a very fine micro brewery today- Their Dunkel is first rate, I like it as well as Leinie's Nut brown- and their Doppelbock is first class-

You'll never see a native German drunk on beer- not because they are so used to it- but besides the Reinheitgsbot of 1516 (Purity of brewing)laws that govern brewers in Germany- they drink their bieren in tall clean glass mugs- and NOT Frosted- served at about 38-40 degrees. Drinking beer from a bottle (we call that Chicago style- don't know why-just is) or from a bar tap on draught and ina frosted glass mug- Nicht zer Gut--

I like a tapered glass with a nice wide rim that will hold 14 ounces- room for the head- and I tilt the glass at first, then bring it up to "plumb and level" to the tap of bottle to cap off the head. But to each his own-- We owe a lot to the Egyptians-- they were the first to brew beer, they developed the condom concept, and they gave us King Tut- so Steve martin could prance around on stage with a fake arrow in his head-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Fox, I can't imagine anyone else on here bringing this thread around to Steve Martin and King Tut. Fantastic! I've been chuckling since I read your post. Martin was hilarious.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents, the engraving is complete. The gun should be ready next January. I think the engraving came out great, couldn't be happier. Have not seen it in person yet, but Jens sent me these photos and afew more.

That is "my" dog in the engraving, an excellent design of her.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will it be case colored like the Essencia? Congratulations! STeve

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, it will be Satin Nickel like in the pictures. I appreciate Case Coloring but don't desire it on my own guns.

Scotty
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents, I visited Jens Ziegenhahn today to wrap up some of the payment for my gun. Hope to pick it up 10 Feb! Today the metal parts were back from being hardened in an oven. I was able to see all the metal except the bottom tang. Wow is all I can say, the engraving is better than I hoped for. Full pics when I pick it up next month.

Now, if you read your Shooting Sportsman, you may recall Steven Dodd Hughes' article on the Manufrance Simplex and Ideal. When I showed the article to Jens, he says "Have you seen my Ideal?" And out comes an 1899, double trigger, ejector model Ideal, with a retractacble sling stored in the butt. Beautiful wood and very fancy engraving. Here is a crude pic I took with my point and shoot; I've never seen this "Scissor-style" double trigger look.

Scotty
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Big day is tomorrow, Friday 10 Feb!

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm feeling a little jealous! Enjoy the day, and lets see some photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't wait to see the finished product. Absolutely fantastic.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, guys, here she is. My Ziegenhahn und Sohn 16 Gauge SxS with 28 in barrels, English Grip, Trigger Plate action with Double Triggers, choked Mod and Full to hunt Pheasants, Sharptails and Huns on the Great Plains, false sideplates with custom engraving, weighing at at 6.28 pounds. The gun looks great and feels great. It mounts a little higher on my cheek than my O/Us, I think for a rising Pheasant, kind of like a Trap gun. I haven't measured the actual DAC and DAH yet, will do that and take more pics when I get time. The triggers and long bottom trigger tang were Blued, which I didn't ecpect, but I really like the contrast between the blueing and the Silver finish of the receiver. More pics with Macro soon.

The Italian case needs a minor adjustment; the snap cap holder needs about 2mm's cut off so the gun slips in and out easily; right now it is too tight a fit. Minor issue that can be resolved easily. The "primer" in the Snap Cap is spring loaded so it gives a little when the firing pins strike it.
Total time from order to receipt was 22 months, but I made it clear I was in no hurry. Jens could have done it in 18 mos if required. However, the bird hunting over here in Germany is less than optimal and everything is expensive (gas, hotels, etc). So this Fall, my GSP and I should be bustin' birds in the good ol' USA!

Last edited by No Dak Scotty; 02/11/12 07:07 AM.

Scotty
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.