May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, AGS, dogon, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 372 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,471
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#210983 12/27/10 05:25 PM
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

The stuff sure darkens up the wood. Was likely revolutionary, circa 1950s or so, but, I've moved on to poly for guns I use.

The R10 in this photo is Lin-Speed:

[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=39559eHIOu&i=191576[/img]

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well that brings back some memories. The first gunstock I refinished as a teenager I used Linspeed on. It made a pretty durable finish as I remember.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used it on a walnut bench I built over 30 years ago and she still looks good.Does tend to darken the wood but sometimes that is a good thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been using a 50/50 mixture of Tru-Oil and mineral spirits. I rub it on with a folded paper towel and I sand with 000 steel wool for the first coats and 0000 for the final coats.

As I do not stain my wood, I would like to know which gives the darker richer color:
Tru-Oil
Boiled Linseed Oil
Lin-Speed

Here is Tru-Oil on maple:

Tru-Oil on walnut:

Tru-Oil on a 1956 Model 37:

Lou

Last edited by Bushmaster; 12/27/10 10:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted - I think that's the nicest looking Darne I've ever seen. The wood came out cool, but what is the finish on the action? It looks blued with painted on smoke wisps! What is it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kid,
I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess you really are a kid, or at least younger than 30, or so. Bear with me.
That finish is what is known as cyanide case coloring, a process that came on strong after about WWII. I believe a few American guns had that finish, usually lower end guns like Stevens and Savage shotguns. My Darne was built in 1946, and would have been among the first finished with that method.
It was easier and cheaper than true bone pack case coloring. The "loss leader" of the Darne gun line, post WWII, the R10, was always finished that way.
I'm told that the cyanide process does impart some hardness to steel, but, I've seen plenty of examples with "flaked" finish, and wonder how hard they can be. Post WWII, Darne started using alloy tool steel forgings of higher quality than the pre-WWII Darne guns, so, maybe it doesn't matter what the hardness is. Standard proof Darnes got French TC steel forgings, magnums got XTC, both are molydenum steels, XTC is higher in chrome, and a [censored] to blue, by the way.
I like case colors on a gun, but, will admit I like true, bone pack colors, better.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Starrett Tool Co was a big user of Cynanide hardened parts for many of their products. I can assure you it does produce a hard skin & don't recall ever seeing a Starrett that "Peeled". I did not object to this finish on an adjustable paralell for instance, but also much prefer the bone charcoal method on a shotgun. According to Machinery's Handbook a bone process under normal methods also produces a deeper case than does the Cyanide method.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Science has finally found a use for raw linseed oil. It turns out to be a superior oil for seasoning new cast iron cookware. The type used is flaxseed oil found in your local pharmacy or health food store promoted as a diet suppliment.

OB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Kid,
That finish is what is known as cyanide case coloring, a process that came on strong after about WWII. I believe a few American guns had that finish, usually lower end guns like Stevens and Savage shotguns. My I'm told that the cyanide process does impart some hardness to steel, but, I've seen plenty of examples with "flaked" finish, and wonder how hard they can be. I like case colors on a gun, but, will admit I like true, bone pack colors, better.

Best,
Ted

Ted - Ted - Ted - Ted - Ted You obviously don't know know that Remington ear Parkers and Fox guns starting in the late nineteen teens were were cyanide case colored, don't think there is anything cheap about those guns and I have never seen cyanide colors on a properly prepared piece of steel flake. And yes cyanide case treatment hardens steel just as well as the bone and charcoal method if proper temperatures are used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.