May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, CJF, Jtplumb), 321 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,767
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CraigF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shooting Rock Salt Loads
Found this site cruising the net...Testing rock salt loads, fun read.

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

That shi# hurts! I mean I would think it would ? HA HA ha ha

Last edited by suddenthunder; 01/01/11 12:32 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like rubbing salt in the wounds?

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

Quote:
Rock salt shells are hand loaded with rock salt, replacing the standard lead or steel shot. Rock salt shells could be seen as the forerunners of modern less-lethal rounds. In the United States, rock salt shells were and are sometimes used by rural civilians to defend their property. The brittle salt was unlikely to cause serious injury at long ranges, but would cause painful stinging injuries and served as a warning. Some Spanish police forces, like the Guardia Civil and Cuerpo Nacional de Policía, use special rock salt shells called SAL-90 in their riot control units.

OK, so that is what Wikipedia says. It should be noted that there is [citation need] after that paragraph. So, we are told there are commercially produced rounds call SAL-90. Piece of cake, right? A simple search should show the maker and shells. After all there are enough collectors around, these should be sought after. So, some one please show us one of these commercial loads....

The 1st Shotgun entry - Mar 27, 2001
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shotgun&oldid=280239

Salt added to specialty ammunition section - Dec 29, 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shotgun&oldid=33063357

SAL-90 listed in the Wiki - Aug 28, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shotgun&oldid=234871383

I used to hear the stories as a kid as well. I have never known anyone who used rock salt in a shotgun.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always thought that this was an old wifes tale to scare (kids mostly) from raiding a farmers pumpkin patch. I have never actually seen a shotgun shell loaded with rock salt.
Has anyone on the forum?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I tried this. I loaded some 12 ga shells with rock salt from our water softner. I put a box up at a very close range. The rock salt just turned to dust when it hit the box, from what I recall did no damage to the box, just dust on it. So unless there might be differences in types of salt of changes from 35 years ago, I would expect the same

John Boyd

Last edited by arrieta2; 01/01/11 03:26 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

rough on bores i bet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me rock salt wouldn't have enuf wgt to pressurize a slow powder. Would it have enuf to pressurize a fast target powder? I'd think you'd get squibs but tester claims report of shell sounded familiar.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would anyone mess with such an idiotic idea? These guys must have ported backbored barrels. The Chop

Sidelock
Sidelock

This story may be made up – but on the other hand it may be true.

“A gentleman shooter had a much loved spaniel which was a little enthusiastic – running forward into the drive at the sound of the first shot. The embarrassed gun was of the habit of pricking his dog with a cartridge loaded with salt to bring him rapidly back to heal. Till the day a guest was on the peg next to him. On seeing the neighbouring gun shoot at his misbehaving dog and apparently missing, proceeded to finish the job off with both barrels from his own gun!”

I think the moral of the tale is don’t mess about with guns – use them for the job they were intended and make sure you never point or fire them at anything you don’t intend to kill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.