April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, bushveld, 67galaxie, eeb), 745 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#211806 01/03/11 10:30 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK - As several members here are aware I recently acquired a nice 14 bore percussion double by W Chance Co. Kind of a dark horse maker, but a couple folks here went above and beyond the call of duty and dug up some detailed history for me, for which I am VERY thankful. This Birmingham gun has NO serial #.

For the past couple years I've been teased and tempted by a gun offered by one of this site's advertisers: A truly lovely percussion double attributed to Boss (name on action plates). This (London?) gun has NO serial #.

Soooo.....what are we to make of this? Is this quandary a bonafide topic of study amongst the firearm illuminati? Is it a recognized practice of some older gun firms in their fledgling years, some of which achieve moderate success and others that may go on to achieve great status?

For the gun buyer/collector, the personal reasoning is a peculiar slant on the adage "buy the gun and not the name"

Surely this situation has arisen much more than just the two examples I've given above. I imagine gun auction houses run into it from time to time. Do they apply some accepted formulae that allows them to determine/verify the maker AND the time period the piece in question was made?

I find this a curious practice from a few different perspectives.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All of the older muzzleloaders that I have had over the years none of them had serial numbers the last a William Moore did not have a serial number. Most states don't consider muzzleloaders as firearms and therefore they are not required. As far as the history of serial number requirements in England I'm not real sure but I'm digging into it for ya.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NONE of my English-Scottish Muzzleloaders have serial numbers.
My 1865 Vintage Cooper Breechloader does not have a serial number either.It will be interesting to know when they became
used routinely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Purdey hammergun that started out as a percussion gun. It was built in 1847 and then converted by Purdey's to a breechloader in the 1870s. It has a serial number.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/04/11 01:38 AM.

I am glad to be here.
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe Donald Dallas makes a mention about many early guns not having serial numbers because it was not required by British law.

After serial numbers were required by British law, some makers did make try-guns that had no serial number because they were not for available for sale to the public.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years back I purchased a W & C Scott Pinfire 12ga. It did not have a SN, but did have the customer's name for whom it was built engraved on the rib. A letter to Mr Crawford revealed it to have been made ca 1863-65 under Matthews Patent. He also noted it eas the first "Breechloading" Scott he had reference to which was not SN'd.

He did not specifically say so but it sounded as if he would not have been suprised for it not to have a number had it been a muzzle loader.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

All the Westley Richards muzzle loaders I've seen have serial numbers. William & John Rigby began using serial numbers in 1821. Mortimer and the Mantons used serial numbers by the late 1700s. Forsyth & Co. started about 1808. Additionally, my 14-b William Powell & Son (sold in 1848) has a serial number.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it is worth, I have never been aware that any British gun MUST have a serial number. I seen plenty from right up to between the wars that had no numbers on them. It usually denotes a trade made gun bought in completely finished, most probably from existing stock. Many have no name engraved on hardened metal either.

My researches of muzzle loading guns by J Blanch & Son have shown a mixed bag of some with numbers and some without. Most of the better examples had numbers but not all.

My personal feeling would be that if the style and quality is right, I would accept it as a Boss.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess that's what we're left with, Toby - if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck___________. So in the case of the Boss, I imagine the legal onus would be on the vendor to know for sure the gun is a Boss if they are selling it as such.

As an aside, I'll pipe in with an 1860 Purdey percussion gun having a serial number, and I too have always seen one on a Westley Richards firearm, no matter the action.

Miller - Very interesting story about your correspondence with Mr Crawford. Your initiative and persistence paid off.

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 01/04/11 11:03 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.