May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (AGS, Mark II, ClapperZapper, DSchrank, Birdog, 1 invisible), 438 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,483
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Gentlemen:

I need to open the chokes of an old P. Beretta S x S shotgun.
The shotgun will be used for quail and dove hunting, but it have 0.020" of choke in the right barrel and 0.040" in the left.
I want to cut it and left 0.005" in the right and 0.010" in the left.
I have the proper and good quality tools (adjutable reamers) but the problem is that the inside barrels are chrome plated and the reamer simply do not cut.

Is there a way to remove the chrome prior to make the cut?

Please I really need good technical advise to perform this work on the shotgun.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose:
The best advice I can give you (especially with chrome lined bores) is to send the barrels off to a TOP double gunsmith. He will charge you far less than the price of ruined barrels. No slight to any skills you may wish to apply to the job.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kensal: logical advise, but I live in Mexico city; perhaps I am the best "double gunsmith" around here.
The local "professional gunsmiths" I know mostly change parts in pumps and autoloaders, or solder broken parts when a spare is not available.

I really need the advise.

Could be a good idea to remove the chrome with coarse emery paper?

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hola Jos,

You'll probably not find a good gunsmith over there as it happens to me here.

I remember -correct me if I am wrong- a thread where you asked about spreader
loads that gave a lot of information as to how to make your own. Maybe that's
the way you should go.

I'd leave chromed barrels alone if they were mine. JMHO.

Saludos,

JC

P.S.: you posted while I was writing this.jc

Last edited by JayCee; 01/11/11 04:22 PM.

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm no expert, so I ought not to even comment on this question, but I believe there are reamers available which will cut through the chrome lining. However, of course once you do that you will not have any chrome lining in the choke(for whatever that may be worth)...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose,
It's a slow process, but you can cut through the chrome at the chokes with an automotive wheel cylinder hone and cutting oil. You may have to change the stones in the hone several times before all of the chrome is ground away. I've successfully done this job on chromed barrels on a Garbi. The pattern placement was not affected. After the chrome is removed, then use your reamer to open the chokes to the desired 0.005 and 0.010. Take your time.
George

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your answers.

Juan Carlos: I have the time and patience to slowly modify some shotshells and made spreader loads with a plastic post in the center of the pellet charge. With those spreaders I "open" the choke from full to mod in my P. Arrizabalaga 20ga left barrel.
The Beretta shotgun in question is not mine and belongs to a friend that prefers a permanent change in the chokes.

Two Georges: Both comments very usefull. The special reamer to cut chrome is, as I know very expensive. I will learn more about the automotive device to hone with stones and decide if is a posible option.

Any other advise to my question?

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't mean this as a stupid question, but could a hard chrome company reverse the current used in plating and remove the chrome? This is so far beyond my realm of knowledge I know it's laughable.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The chrome can certainly be removed by a plating shop. It's simply the reverse of the process that plated the barrels in the beginning and is commonly done in plating shops. However, the bluing on the outside of the barrels could be also blemished or removed unless that area is shielded by a coating of plating masking lacquer.

OB

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.