April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (FlyChamps, David Williamson, Jimmy W, 4 invisible), 363 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,011
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here it is, e-mailed to me personally, straight from Remington; the pressure of their Managed Recoil shotshells is:

"All Remington ammunition is loaded by SAAMI specifications and will fall within any standards they have for ammunition production."

Well, I guess that clears that up! frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

They gave you the correct answer. From what I've read, ammo makers get their powders in large quantities from the powder makers and then load it to the velocity level they want. The powder is not cannister grade, like we would buy for reloading. Cannister grade means one batch will be the same as the next. This is why we're warned NOT to open up a factory load to copy what they are using. It might look like Red Dot, for example. But it may not be the same as the Red Dot we buy over the counter.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
They gave you the correct answer. From what I've read, ammo makers get their powders in large quantities from the powder makers and then load it to the velocity level they want. The powder is not cannister grade, like we would buy for reloading. Cannister grade means one batch will be the same as the next. This is why we're warned NOT to open up a factory load to copy what they are using. It might look like Red Dot, for example. But it may not be the same as the Red Dot we buy over the counter.

Even before I asked, I knew the answer and why. I was (remotely) hoping that they might at least provide a pressure range (suitably broad for Remington and their lawyers) for the Managed Recoil shells. As it stands, we must believe that there is no pressure difference between Remington's 2 3/4" Managed Recoil loads and their 3 1/2" Premier High Velocity Buffered Magnum Turkey loads. Ask about either shell and you'll get the same canned answer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Their "managed recoil loads", if they indeed do, are by using less shot and/or less velocity. Since low recoil does not come from low pressure, it's not a valid reason to assume low pressures. I do believe SAAMI standards are a bit higher for the 3-1/2" magnum loads. Topics like this could be a lot easier to understand if we could get everyone to accept that recoil is not determined by the amount of pressure involved.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 01/19/11 12:57 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
Their "managed recoil loads", if they indeed do, are by using less shot and/or less velocity. Since low recoil does not come from low pressure, it's not a valid reason to assume low pressures. I do believe SAAMI standards are a bit higher for the 3-1/2" magnum loads. Topics like this could be a lot easier to understand if we could get everyone to accept that recoil is not determined by the amount of pressure involved.

All of this of course stems from the oft-asked question from owners of older smokeless powder guns; "What is a "light" load?" Might as well ask, "What is the meaning of life?". It would be nice if the industry had agreed-upon standards (along with appropriate units of measurement) before they could call a shell light.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim's right--different standard (14,000 psi) for the 3 1/2" 12 vs 2 3/4" at 11,500 psi. (3" is the same as 2 3/4" as far as service pressure limits go.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

A "light load" is either a smaller amount of shot, lower velocity or better yet, both. Has nothing to do with pressure.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've read Remington's product description for their "managed recoil" target loads. They claim up to 40% reduced recoil compared to other target loads. Do doubt, as others have stated, reduced recoil would come from reduced payload and velocity. Improbable, but entirely possible, that such could be achieved with average peak pressures actually being higher than heavier recoiling loads in their line. Nowhere in their product description do they mention pressure.

This company, on the other hand, does use the term "low pressure" to describe some of their product line. Can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure I've heard they've quoted pressure averages in reponse to customer's inquiries.

http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_shotshells_shotshells.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been able to get chamber pressure info from RST, Fiocchi, and B&P. RST even tracks chamber pressure by lot number, while Fiocchi and B&P give generic pressures for a given loading.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When Federal made up the low pressure target loads for Midway, they were indeed light in payload (7/8 oz 12ga) but not in velocity (1200 fps)--but still low pressure (mid-6K psi range, if I recall correctly). Winchester's Low Recoil/Low Noise load is a 26 gram shot charge at just under 1000 fps.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.