Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Chuck H #19318 01/09/07 07:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Only way that I'd ship barrels or gun is USPS. Because they paid off within a month after filing my claim. Shipped Parker barrels that where damaged in transit. I insured for 1000.00, they paid me 975.00. This was after all the repair costs was added up. I gave them two estimates and they never asked any difference. I live in very small town and my USPS lady couldn't have been more helpful. She took the damage to my item personal and was so sorry that it happened. Like it was her fault.......I told her to not worry about it. They where just Parker barrels, no body died or anything!OOOOOOps did I say that? LOL,LOL,LOL

battle #19332 01/09/07 09:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad Jim asked this question, as I have been thinking the same thought about shipping barrels and insurance required in case of loss or damage. I figured the cost to replace a lost set of barrels would be more than the value of the gun. I have a set
from a Charles Daly (Miroku)O/U that I was going to send to Mike Orlin For some choke work. Where would be the best place to determine value of gun? Blue book, average cost to replace taken from Internet sales?

Thanks, Flip

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a printing business and my UPS rep told me not to purchase insurance as it is a waste of money, "you will not collect very easily" save the money and self insure. I no longer use UPS as they damage too much product. Fed X ground I have not had a claim in a year and a 1/2, don't know the story of collecting on ins from them.

Jeff G.

Jeff G. #19377 01/10/07 01:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've noted that UPS packages over the years have been beat by the 800lb gorilla they employ. Fedex packages always seem in much better condition. I've never had a claim against FedEx and have had one gun related claim against UPS. UPS or whoever their insurer is paid off within a month. Still, I'd prefer to have the boxes arrive in good shape. FedEx is my choice most of the time.

Chuck H #19476 01/10/07 02:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To Jimmy W.: I agree with your reasoning on paying for insurance in the amount of $100,000 for a gun that's worth only $1000. When you pay the insurance cost(set by the carrier) for a given amount, they are giving you the odds that the package won't be lost or damaged. They way I(and you, I think) see it is that if I ship a 30" piece of water pipe, pay to insure it for $1200 and it is lost, they owe me $1200, just like a bet placed on a crap table. I'm not talking about fraud, I can't make it get lost. Unfortunately, the insurance companies and lawyers don't see it that way, I'm told. It appears that they set the odds, you call the bet and then, if the unlikely happens, they have the right to not pay off or to pay an amount less than the bet BOTH PARTIES agreed to.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS is the way to go. I insure but have had no occasion to collect on damage or loss. My more or less nondeformable mailing tube with wood end plugs has been back and forth to Orlen so many times I'm sure he and I are both tired of peeling off tape and old mailing labels. Sending the entire gun when only barrel mods are required (I guess we can't all afford to engage someone from the "shoot-it-in" school of choking?)would require the receiver's FFL. I did collect (1800$) from UPS for damage to a carbon fiber bike frame. Took some effort (UPS appraiser's examination of item and packaging, seller's shipper waiving claim to funds) and amounted to a four-sided Charley Foxtrot which went on for three months.

jack

rabbit #19510 01/10/07 05:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was told that UPS or Fedx wouldn't insure antiques that couldn't be replaced.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct Joe,

"UPS will not be liable for any loss of or damage to articles of unusual value. UPS reserves the right, but is not required, to return to the shipper any package containing an article of unusual value. Such return will be made solely at the shipper’s risk and expense. "

"UPS shall not be liable or responsible for: (1) loss or damage to articles of unusual value (as defined in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service); "

Some more interesting stuff from UPS.

"In the event of loss of or damage to a pair or set of articles, UPS’s liability is limited to the value of that part of the pair or set which is lost or damaged, and UPS shall not be liable for the value of the whole pair or set. In the event of loss of or damage to any part of property (including any part of a machine) which, when complete for sale or use, consists of several parts, UPS shall be liable only for the value of the part lost or damaged, not to exceed the declared value of the part lost or damaged. In no event shall UPS be liable for the value of the complete item. "

Does that apply to barrels vs. entire gun?

And how about this,

"When a shipper declares a value in excess of $100, it does not receive any form of insurance. Shippers desiring cargo insurance, all risk insurance, or another form of insurance should purchase such insurance from a third party."

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The reason I don't like USPS(la oficina postal, for you folks in Rio Linda) service is because they offer no real tracking and IME, charge a lot more than FedEx, using my good friend local FFL holding Bullberry Barrel Works. My local, small town postmaster is however, extremely helpful and a very nice guy, especially for a government "worker".

Last edited by Jim Legg; 01/10/07 11:14 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.