April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (azgreg, GSPWillie, AaronN, Hammergun, fishrising, 1 invisible), 1,045 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,707
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If i have a double gun with removable firing pins, what is the cause and repair of said gun if the firing pins drag and do not retract properly after discharge?

Can i do it myself or is this the job of a gunsmith?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun make, type, ejectors ? Are you using Winchester shells or others with soft primers ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My money's on it being a Flues!

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's probably "out of time", meaning the hammers are not starting to cock soon enough, as the gun is opened. The fix is to restore the loss of proper drive to the cocking mechanism parts. As to whether you can fix it yourself, I can't answer that for you. Bending or peening the parts is a touch and try operation. Go too far and the cocking parts will prevent the hammers from gooding a good lick on the primers. If it's an old gun with lots of use, the above is more likely than the primer brand, IMO.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

12 bore. Vintage. Sidelock. Extractors. London, best grade although not from a tier 1 maker. Back action. Top lever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
12 bore. Vintage. Sidelock. Extractors. London, best grade although not from a tier 1 maker. Back action. Top lever.

And the maker is?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it something it just started ?...could be something as simple as cleaning. Post some pics of the locks and pins.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It might just be a question of cleaning...or of "cleaning up" after a previous owner neglected cleaning. One of the many maladies that my pore old Skimin and Wood had when I got it [Curse Montana "one-gallus duck hunters" and "gun butchers"!] was a dragging firing pin. It turned out that corrosion had gotten into the firing pin hole to the point that the firing pin had become peened from passing through the corrosion. A "dressing off" of the firing pin and the hole put things to rights.

One aspect of gun cleaning that is mentioned in Thomas and Churchill, for example, that I have never seen in American treatises is the cleaning of firing pin holes. The British sources most often recommend applying light coating of oil with a matchstick. This practice would seem to be a simple and reasonable precaution against a potentially troublesome and expensive set of problems.

Last edited by Dingelfutz; 02/15/11 09:26 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim's got it in one. Take the barrels off the action then fire the action holding a coin over the firing pins, see how much free play you have on the lifters. If there is a lot this needs to be adjusted so that it cocks sooner. Measure how far the pins come through the face it should be no more that.073" if they are more than this they need shortening. It sound like you need a GOOD gunsmith to regulate your action for you.

John Foster
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the pins fire with a violent amount of strength considering the gun is 130 years old.

The right pin will pass forward if I simply hold the action downward and let gravity act. Both pins fire but the slopping around and the dragging (sliding across the primer after fire) need fixing.

I'll seek out a competent gunsmith in my area...and a pegasus. No telling which I'll find first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.