Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, my very first action-shortening project @ TSJC was an 1891 like yours, only I used a 222 bolt face. Again like you, Bill Prator helped me a lot on this project. I used stick welding for the process and had to make some alterations in order to obtain enough mainspring length. It became a cute little single shot varminter and is still floating around this neck of the woods someplace.

I read somewhere that "Great minds run in the same channels" but I also read somewhere else that "Fools think alike!"
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe please quit telling us about all those neat things you got stashed away my mouth goes to drooling. One of thee days we might have to do some trading on one of them. Smile Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine was a Ludwig Lowe as well, fine quality! before I got aholda it.
Couldn't have paid much because I didn't have any money at the time...
And by golly I checked, it is a .222 bolt face!
Prator might have been the deciding factor in both cases, eh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Steve, lo these many years later, isn't it time to finish that project? smile You know, in your spare time!

Boxlock
Boxlock

I'm not young, at 36, but I'm sure I'm younger than most. Custom rifles for me means admiring pictures on the internet, and messing with the cheap rifles I can afford. I have 4 kids (my 3 boys are all under 4 years) so I have been customizing, hunting, and building memories with some Mausers and Springfields, preparing for when they will be passed to the kids.

Here's the rifle that spurred my interest in 1903's, with the buck I killed with it.

It could use a more appropriate scope, but I haven't gotten to it.

Jason
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BJA105 welcome to the forum hope you stick around and joint the fun.

You live in a good part of the country for finding older rifles. I think before the war PA had more firearms Per Capita than any other state save Alaska.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Boxlock
Boxlock

We do have a lot of gun shops, and my work truck can find its own way to most of them, it seems.

Jason
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jason, Sorry I missed the name at the bottom, much better than R2D2 or whatever ;-).

IMO You can make up for lack of funds by having a large bank account of knowledge. Both will get you a new toy now and then.

When I first got married forty some years ago we made a deal. I could buy all the guns I wanted whenever I wanted no questions. Only stipulation was the money could not come from her paycheck or my paycheck.

I'm still married and still playing by the same rules.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason, Nice whitetail, nice Springfield!
They look good together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just turned 23, so I would be willing to bet that I am the youngest person on this forum.

I have had the pleasure of speaking with Mr. Petrov several times before. Although I am not sure he remembers it, I have the signed book to prove it! There are several gentlemen on this forum who have greatly contributed to my love of fine guns. John Mann would be first on that list.

There are several reasons why I think there is a lack of younger folks on this board.
-Many of my friends are interested in firearms, but they have no desire to try to jump through all the necessary hoops to get a license, especially in MA.
-Black guns, pistols, tricked out long range guns etc. are popular now, through all age groups. People aren't interested in the old stuff.
-And most importantly, money. I graduated from college 8 months ago, I now have a good job and make good money, but I certainly couldn't say that for the first 22 years of my life. I was bitten by the bug and saved $$$ forever in hopes of finding a nice side by side. The day I forked over $800 to a gentlemen for a 16ga Fox Sterlingworth was a happy day. Even though I make a good living now, these guns are still very expensive. I'd really like a nice single shot, however given that I owe thousands in student loans, it is hard to justify extravagant purchases.

I'm not overly worried about the future of guns and gun collecting. I am sure that when I am 50, both fortunately and unfortunately, classic rifles and shotguns will still be selling for a hefty sum.

Last edited by StormsGSP; 02/20/11 11:55 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.