April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, FallCreekFan, 1 invisible), 856 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
Sorry if the question is stupid (I've discovered I didn't know a tenth as much as I thought I knew about shotguns lately, so I don't know what's stupid and what's not any more) - or discussed many times before (in this case a link would do). Thank you for your attention.

Oh, the sound of maturity! Here we have a man who has grown far beyond most of us! Thanks, Humpty Dumpty. Your comment is refreshing. Hope you get to feeling better. Stay warm. (And your English is far, far better than my Russian!)

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, here goes, YES, the chokes have been worn out of some guns.
I am talking about some OLD guns. I have seen side by sides that can almost cut your finger on the choke end. Whether is was from shooting or cleaning, I do not know. These barrels were made of soft steel or iron. In fact I know of one gun that was practically cyl/cyl and when made was full/full. The current owner had hunted with if with great success and decided to retire the gun and get a new one. Of course since his old gun was full/full that is what he bought. He he he, he either missed or shredded the bird. Had to have her opened up.
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 02/17/11 12:04 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
OK, here goes, YES, the chokes have been worn out of some guns.
I am talking about some OLD guns. I have seen side by sides that can almost cut your finger on the choke end. Whether is was from shooting or cleaning, I do not know. These barrels were made of soft steel or iron. In fact I know of one gun that was practically cyl/cyl and when made was full/full. The current owner had hunted with if with great success and decided to retire the gun and get a new one. Of course since his old gun was full/full that is what he bought. He he he, he either missed or shredded the bird. Had to have her opened up.
Mike

This is common on well used muzzleloaders. However, I suspect it's more from the ramrod than from shooting.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good answer, Jim. Post 1880 guns of quality with paper thin muzzles are abused in some way other than just shooting. I am back to describing worn out bores or chokes from shooting as an old wives tale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you took a foot tall stack of 600 grit sandpaper and a long wood stick, and tried to wear out .001" thru the entire bore length, I think you'd run out of sandpaper or wear the cartilidge out of your elbow before you got .001" out of the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, we talk about chokes, not bores. With 600 paper I will "wear" choke for .001 in one minute.
I guess nobody saw worn modern guns here. 100, 200 thousands rounds that's OK, but 500 thousand or 1 million - I fix (honing) several sporting guns with colossal run and all of them got some issues with cones and pre-choke areas.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno,
I agree, .001" in the choke is not too hard to get to with sandpaper or high volume shooting. The abrasiveness of powder residue and fricion of the wad would seem to be the wear mechanism IMO. I haven't noted any forcing cone erosion in my shotguns, but I don't have huge numbers of rounds thru any of them except one that has had the forcing cones lengthened after much of that shooting. Certainly, I, and maybe a bunch here have seen erosion in rifles and handguns. I had a .264 Win Mag that the throat and bore (for a few inches) looked like it was sandblasted after I had fired maybe 1000-2000 rounds thru it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eley, Kynoch works, used a Boss sidelock shotgun to test fire cartridges as part of their daily quality control program.This gun fired over 1.5 million rounds prior to its retirement.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester used M-12's for the same thing.

Wonder if anyone is on record about their choke condition after years of that.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tudurgs
If you assume that the chokes are going to erode (I'm not sure I buy it, given today's plastic shot cups, but...), isn't it logical to assume that the bores would erode also (altho perhaps to a lesser degree?). If so, then the choke deterioration would be less.

PS - Joe(j0e) - You're a jerk.
Is that the Michigan AuSable area TD- you are right Sir- there are no stupid questions on the DoubleGunShoppingNetwork, just stupid replies, and they don't get any stupider than ol' Homeless Joseph from Memphis-- he must have been the character sketch for old Tommy Hanks as "Forrest Dump"- 'stupid is as stupid does' I have, among other 12 bores, a M12 made in 1937 with at least 50,000 shells including steel loads through it, the bore mikes at factory, shines like a mirror and all the parts are original and when I hit the trigger is goes Bang every time. Also a Parker 12 live bird gun and a M12 Trap gun, easier to document by recorded number of birds, whether clays or with feathers, shot over the years- both guns have had close to 400,000 rounds through their respective barrels, still like from the factory--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.