May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Silverbow), 351 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,738
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

That phrase is from Bodio, not me. But he may have stolen it from a dead European guy.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, here is something for you to all laugh at. We have a West Highland Terrier. He does a heck of a good job, in my opinion, retrieving my doves, so that is what he does. He has a soft mouth and brings them to hand. What can I say?

OK, I’ll “brag away.”

“What game do you hunt?” I’m a rather fanatical dogman/hunter. We hunt all sort of species in all sorts of places. For example: local doves starting on Sept 1; a few weeks of early season prairie grouse; then, local ruffed grouse and woodcock; local phez; late season western phez; late season local ruffs; then, finally, preserve hunting at “my” hunting club until the end of March. I don’t know if this qualifies as “hunting” because others shoot the birds we find, but when we are home, the dogs and I also guide at the hunting club about once a week, Sept through March.

“Favorite gun?” Unlike many here, I don’t have lots of guns – I’m a shooter/hunter not a collector. What gun is my “favorite” depends on what I’m hunting and where. For most western hunting, back-up shooting, use when non-tox is required, etc, a 12 bore Famars Venere pinless sidelock, 30” bbls, 6½ lbs., choked loose and tight, Sabatti engraving:

For most eastern “wild” bird hunting, a 20 bore Bertuzzi hammergun, 28” bbls, 6 lbs., choked loose and tight, Torcoli engraving of Maggie with a stylized grouse in her mouth:

For shooting pen-raised birds, a 28 bore AyA #1 “Best”, 28” bbls, 5½ lbs., choked loose and tight, or a 1940’s vintage Model 42, 26” solid rib Briley chokes, with Bee engraving, Mixell stocked in Turkish:

“your dog of choice. Breed, dogs name, what makes him/her special to your hunting style” I like pretty much all of the breeds of bird dogs, but I will always be owned by Brittanys. Not that other dogs can’t be this, but I find them the perfect combination of loyal, devoted, loving companions and awesome predators. They will find, point and retrieve any species, any time, any where and in any weather. Given the guiding work we do, I must have more than one dog – usually try to have two – a master and a grasshopper. Right now my master is Maggie – orange and white; 8½ years old; with perhaps 3,000 birds under her collar. She is that very special once-in-a-lifetime dog you read about and a big part of my soul. The grasshopper is Chase 2½ years old; liver and white (so I know how to be mad at when they are ½ mile out on the prairie) and maybe close to 1K birds under his collar by now.

They hunt hard:

In addition, they are good for catching mice under the porch

And for playing dress-ups with the grandkids:

Here’s Maggie with a Greater Prairie Chicken:

Here’s Chase with a phez:

Last edited by Greg Hartman; 01/10/07 02:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great looking guns, dogs and kid Greg! I agree about Britts owning us. They are greaat with my grandchildren.

Jim

Last edited by jjwag69; 01/10/07 02:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pics, guns, dogs, and grandchildren Greg-you have an abundantly blessed life!

And Ted: Guy de la Valdene wrote in For a Handful of Feathers
"For me, the life and death of a dog is a calendar of time passing."
Sounds like something from Meditations on Hunting by Jose Ortega y Gasset

Last edited by revdocdrew; 01/10/07 02:51 PM.

I hunt pheasants and quail, mostly using a 12 gauge 1907 A.H. Fox "A grade" that has been restored and restocked. It was a very good season.

Late in 2006 I picked up a much newer Stevens/Fox Model B (1950's?)in 12 gauge, and have also hunted with it several times.

Dog is a 6 year-old Wire-Haired Pointing Griffon bitch. She pointed and retrieved over 60 birds this year.

(Wish I knew how to post photos...)

Jerry Goldstein

Thanks to all who posted photos on this thread. Just a beautiful bunch of dogs and guns!
Jerry, how about a picture of your wire-haired pointing griffon?

Last edited by Richard; 01/11/07 12:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my Turkey dog 'Buster' a Boykin Wachtelhund outcross, faster than a bullet with a nose like a bloodhound. Sit's like a stone statue when the birds are coming in. No need for a blind or sack with this breed.
He's hunted 3 seasons, he's been on 30 kills and three unbelivebly three long catches of wounded birds. Combine that with my string of misses and he's seen allot of action in three seasons.
This is my first Turkey dog he adds a new deminsion to fall turkey hunting.
Best hunting companion I've ever had.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Taku - 85 lb. yellow lab. We pretty much stick to MT for phez, sharptail, mtn. grouse, huns, and waterfowl. 2 yrs. old this fall, and came on well, despite a severe lack of training due to a busy fire season last summer. Got too used to upland birds and refused to pick up the first duck of the season, so I had to wade the stream. Doing better now, but still prefers the better tasting uplanders. Most hunting with an Uggie 12/28", an Win. Model 12 20, and a Stoeger 12 for the wet and muddy days. Great all around dog, despite my wife doing her best to spoil him!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.