April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (dogon, AGS, FallCreekFan, j7l2, HMAK, 1 invisible), 1,153 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,848
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#19382 01/10/07 02:21 AM
reesq Offline OP
OP Offline

To continue flogging the proverbial dead horse, I just got the call that my gun is going into production. It seems like the biggest complaint amongst those who have seen and been disappointed in the RBL as delivered is with either the checkering or the engraving. So out curiosity, of those who have actually handled the gun, what is the general consensus on these two finishes? How many observed burnt checkering and how shallow is the engraving?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reesq,
I had one in my hands a few weeks ago that appeared to have had a malfunction during the checkering and then it was 'gone over again' on the forend. The result was a very deep, black pattern that had no diamonds or disfigured diamonds within a deep recess the shape of a checkering pattern. The only way to recut it would be to refit the metal eschutcheon deeper, refinish the forend and recut the checkering.

The engraving was obviously buffed over.

I'm cancelling my order this week.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I couldn't answer that question but, in the last two weeks I have had three RBL owners contact me about chasing the engraving, Onr man said he was told that he could order the gun without engraving & wanted to consider having it done. Tony told him that the wait would be longer for a plain action sans engraving.
It is my opinion that there wouldn't be enough improvement in the overall look to justify the cost --- I wouldn't do it on mine if I owned a RBL. The only out would be to order a non etched action or have the engraving removed, left plain or re-engraved.
The checkering could be lightly recut enough to get past the burnt fiber & sealed. FWIW, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, Wouldn't the receiver have to be annealed and then rehardened at the end? Pretty extreme for a new gun don't you think? Best, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jake,
the RBL forgings are machined in the heat treated condition. They are thru hardened 4140 if memory serves and should be in the mid 30's RC. They will file well enough in the hardened condition, albeit take longer than an annealed steel. Tony said this was done to assure precision fit of the parts. Personally, I wouldn't anneal one to prep it. Whether or not an engraver would need it annealed or softened is something I don't have any experience with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, sorry to hear about your disappointing experience.

The positive side is that you can now look for something else.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jake, 30C on the Rockwell "C" scale is certainly cutable. Many of the pieces I cut (Win 21) are much tougher. It all lies in the eye of the owner as to if the piece should be left as is or re-engraved to represent personal taste.

Please send me an email so I can get you back in my address book --- lost all addresses since computer crashed. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had trouble with the "smoked" checkering. It is fragle because it is to deep and narrow based. If you think you are buying more than a nice quality hunting gun you are in trouble.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun was ordered with Exhibition black walnut and case to be dark overall. The checkering presents no contrast problems and while definately not hand cut with classic diamonds, its quite attractive, has no irregularity, same with the engraving with the case.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 01/10/07 11:44 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The checkering on my RBL (#110) is outstanding in every respect, and has gotten favorable comments from all who have seen/handled it. The engraving seems a little shallow and the case coloring somewhat subdued, when comparing it to a wonderfully colored 50's vintage Sauer in my safekeeping. But not to worry, Tony sells case color lacquer #F0050 which is the stuff we used on the Sauer and will be applied to the RBL when I get the stock bent in the spring. Hopefully it will brighten up much like the Sauer did. For the time being, I'm having too much fun shooting Pheasants & Chuckers with the wee delight, to give it up, for now. Then there’s the Grouse shoot at Irwin, PA this Saturday. …Life is good.

Chuck, if you're basing your cancellation on seeing one example, please reconsider. I mean, is it possible that mine is the only "good" one, while your example could be the only one not meeting expectations? Let's all remember, this isn't a $35K bespoke Fox, and IMHO there aren't any shotguns on the market that compare, in looks or quality in this price range.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.