April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, MattH, 3 invisible), 1,046 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#220964 03/08/11 11:11 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been thinking about single pellet clay breaks as discussed by Dr. Andrew Jones in his new patterning book. Having looked at his photos and his data, I have become much more observant of target breaks. I have noted that some targets break pretty much in half and believe this is a pretty sure sign of a single pellet break. Couple of weeks ago I did some crusing of a skeet field "landing zone." Following are photos of some of what I found.

A single pellet hit that "almost but not quite" broke.

Inside of the previous clay. Note the lack of penetration by the pellet, yet the extent of the "reverse" damage due to the brittle material getting hit with a shock load force.

Looks like a one pellet break, although I don't have the other half to prove it. Note the break goes across the pellet hit and the extent of fracture.

Inside of previous clay. Note the reverse side damageand the fracture lines.

A case of a pellet skipping off the edge of the rim, yet fracturing the clay.

Extensive inside damage.

I think a test desinged to maximize single pellet hits is in order. A large sheet of plastic in the major landing zone should aid recovery of targets and fragments. As noted in a previous thread, we need field data that indicates the % of single pellet hits that result in a scorable target.

Last edited by Rocketman; 03/08/11 11:17 PM.
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

This is why I use 7.5's for all my Sporting Clay Shooting. Anyplace where there is a relatively "soft" landing zone for clays, you'll see dozens of clays like that, including some with 3 or more hits. Some batches of clays really are harder than others.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
I think a test desinged to maximize single pellet hits is in order. A large sheet of plastic in the major landing zone should aid recovery of targets and fragments. As noted in a previous thread, we need field data that indicates the % of single pellet hits that result in a scorable target.

Why?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

Possibly a related story? Some years back I was shooting a terrible round of trap when the scorer mentioned he could see the dust flying of my targets but they weren't breaking. I think I was trying 7/8oz of 9s with IMod. I was trying to get rid of a bag of 9 shot I still have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the clay manufacturers are making the clays more resilient. I just know I'm hitting the targets but they won't do their part and break. :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Joe Wood said. The best shooter still wins the money in a clay target event. In any shooting of live birds, we aren't the least bit interested in one pellet hits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll take the magic BB anytime.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some shooters suggest that the biodegradeable targets are harder to break than the older ones.

If you watch good skeet or trap shooters, especially if the skeet guys are shooting 12's or 20's, you will not see very many breaks where there are just--as a shooting friend says--"the minimum number of pieces". You'll see a lot more if someone's shooting a .410--which makes sense because of the reduced # of pellets in the pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand that mass marketers (Walmart) order a tougher bird to reduce handleing losses. It also seeems that the bio-degradeable birds are tougher.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Again, what difference does it make, if everyone is shooting the same batch of clays. First, you guys changed the rules to allow the gun to be pre-mounted so it'd be easier to have higher scores. Now you want clays that break easier....to have higher scores. What next? Slower clays? Bigger clays? Hey, that's an idea! wink

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.