April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,022 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221314 03/11/11 08:15 PM
dal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
dal #221325 03/11/11 10:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Strange to say or perhaps to hear, I'd say that's just about the way every fitter does it. May not involve the empirical approach of adding quarters until you get a certain degree of down pitch which doesn't bust your chops; may involve just whacking the stock off at 5 to 7 degrees less than a right angle with rib because "most people are accomodated by 5 to 7 degrees down pitch". Raise the back sight (on a shotgun the eye)=raise the point of impact. Nothing new there to a rifleman or pistoleer other than the back sight is resting on bunion relief on the comb rather than on the frame or barrel. Quarters and moleskin are field expedients to "try" the results of whacking and bending stocks before doing so just as a trygun is a somewhat fancier "simulator" but still a simulator. G I Joe doesn't say whether he shoots every day with a stack of quarters as a shim or a couple layers of moleskin as a sight elevator. Bet he doesn't.

jack

dal #221333 03/11/11 11:01 PM
dal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The reason I'm enquiring is that I need to shorten the stocks on two of my guns. A Laurona sxs, and an M12 (both 16ga. of course). I heard about cutting the stock 90 deg. to the rib, but if a 5 to 7 degree pitch is typical, or will get me close, then it should save me some rework.

I will check at the range for mussel 'bounce', or a sore cheek first.

And no, I can't afford a professional gun fitting and smith work : )

I will accept free opinions though!

Thanks in advance, Don,

dal #221339 03/12/11 12:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The quote is from "Colonel" Glenn Baker of Woodcock Hill (Thom. Bland "owner" and distributor in U.S). and the words were spoken to me. The 90 degree included angle to the rib would give you the neutral or zero pitch that G. I. Joe mentions. 83 to 85 degrees included angle, with the butt in full contact to floor and the breech against the wall means you'll see some daylight (2 or 3 inches) between muzzle ends and wall. You see it's all about house carpentry and horse shoeing--or once was.

I agree that you should see how the pitch thing works out for you with the long stocks by adding quarters or tapered shims or whatever before you cut. May reduce cheek slap and muzzle flip to a certain degree but really you're only trying to achieve full contact with the side of the pectoral muscle in the shoulder pocket so the butt and comb remains in the same relationship to your cheek and eye (rear sight) in case you might want to fire a second shot after the first. I am not a gunfitter and I don't play one of TV (or here on the internet) but you did ask so that's my .02.

jack

rabbit #221427 03/12/11 04:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also adhere to the 83 degree pitch.However,the pitch controls how much the shotgun will or will not slip from your shoulder along with the felt recoil. Todays recoil pads nullify a lot of that.You find find the pitch on the old Model 94 Winchesters are a lot different than what you see on a shotgun

A side from a zero degree pitch, placing a shotgun against a wall is about as useless in determing pitch.Length of barrel and LOP will affect how much it stands out agaisnt the wall.It is about effcetive as the old wives tale of placing the butt of you gun in the crook of your elbow and see where your trgger finger is. When in fact, your eye needs to be about 1.5" in back of your thumb. There is no correllation between that and the length of your forearm.

Also, when patterning a shotgun,a person needs to shoot it as he does when hunting or shooting clays. Many of us do not consistently get a good cheek weld and a shotgun needs to be mounted, swung and pointed. As a professional ,this guy has it down pat, but most if they were to do as he does will find thier pattern is not were they think it is.
I think, O/U shoot differently than SXS, as the SXS will typically do a little dip and have a person shoot low.

I have a 1936 Ithaca that is giving me fits. Even after raising the drop at the heel 1/4 " ,it still shoots 4" low.

As stated you move the butt of your shotgun in the direction you want the pattern to go.Just like adjusting iron sights on a rifle.Same holds true with cast off and cast on to get the pattern shooting more center of left and right hand shooters,which no one seems to worry about.

dal #221431 03/12/11 04:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The obvious case of major "up" pitch departing from the modern norm is the Winchester '73. The eponymous film with Jimmy Stewart shows this clearly.

jack

rabbit #221436 03/12/11 05:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep,those old levers were stocked so that they were meant to be kept on the shoulder while stoking more rounds in the chamber

dal #221456 03/12/11 08:26 PM
dal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To pattern, I typically pace off 25 yards. (where I usually shoot my birds at) use the same ammo, (kent upland) and shoot one steady mounted for poa, and on a separate pattern sheet, five quick shouldering shots.

So far my M12 puts the shot right on the mark. A few rounds of skeet help me tweak the comb height a bit. When Im hitting above 20/25, I say its good.

But I am new to this game also.

Don.

dal #221463 03/12/11 09:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny how he can stand the "butt",squarely on the floor, considering the "banana" pad (rocker) on the gun. I make my buttcut 90 from the comb. What the distance the muzzel is from the wall is not a concern of mine. This gives me the best contact between the pad and my shoulder. The other nonsense frequently attributed to pitch is BS, IMO&ME.

> Jim Legg <

Jim Legg #221466 03/12/11 09:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason I shoot at 16 yds is that supoosedly when you shift the butt 1/16" for evey 1" you want the center of the pattern to move. It varies with everyone,but gets you darn close. Theni check at further distances

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.