Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#221636 03/14/11 05:36 PM
tudurgs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My Son-in-law was a gifted athlete in high school, shoots pistols well, but can't shoot a shogun worth a darn. I sense it might be an eye dominance thing - that he is "ambidextrous" eyed - that is that dominance switches from shot to shot. Anyone ever encountered this? I haven't tried blocking his left glaases lens with tape or vaseline yet - that will be next

tudurgs #221642 03/14/11 06:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having been teaching shooting for 20 years one thing is certain – no two peoples eye sight is the same. Eye dominance can be very positive one way or the other or they can be balance with neither fully in control. This later is probably the most difficult situation as to get consistent results there has to be a consistent picture. With central vision i.e. the eyes in balance, any small influence can switch eye dominance from one to the other and consequently the gun is rarely pointing in the same place from shot to shot.
If he shot pistol successfully using one eye then try the same with the shot gun – at least he will have a consistent picture. There is a small advantage in having both eyes open on some targets, but only if the eye next to the gun is in control.
Make sure that the gun fits him as a low comb – which will obscure the eye next to the gun - can to a layman look like cross eye dominance.
Once you have established that it is a cross eye dominance problem and that he can shoot effectively with the eye furthest away from the gun obscured, you need to get an experienced coach to advise you on the options available to you and the best way to progress. Without this help at this critical stage you could be handicapping his shooting for the foreseeable future.
John

tudurgs #221650 03/14/11 06:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am right handed. I can hold my doubleguns (SxS) with splinter forearms in such a way that the left side of my forehand blocks out the bead in my left eye. I shoot with both eyes open but the end of the barrel cannot be seen by the left eye. This is helpful to me on right to left crossers but I try to do it all the time.

My shooting student Joe Wood taught me that trick. And I have found he does his best shooting with both eyes closed.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
tudurgs #221701 03/15/11 04:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike
This is an excellent technique as you never forget your patch of tape on a days shooting! I have seen people sticking their left thumb up to blank the foresight. You used to be able to get little screens to attach to the gun to achieve the same result. I suppose the modern equivalent are the foresights with small tubes to the rear which prevent the left eye seeing the bead.
I would guess that the benefits to you are even greater on left to right crossers as this is when right handed shooter usually get the most problems. Even right handed people with fairly dominant right eyes can experience the left eye taking over on left to right crossers.
While opinion is divided over closing of blanking an eye I am happy for individuals to do it on crossers if it improves their score. Whatever advice we give in shooting is usually a compromise of some sort. The objective is to get the best result an individual is capable of - by whatever means.
I have never advised any of my students to shoot with both eyes closed - they seem quite capable of doing that for themselves!!
John

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.