May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hal M Hare, PALUNC, Chuck H, David Williamson), 458 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#222257 03/19/11 11:58 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK; I've got the roughing out done, and the pad's on the stock with the wood taped off. What's the secret to getting it down to final shape and finish? Good old garnet, or something else? Grit(s)? Wet/dry? Sanding block, etc?

I thought of using a grinding wheel my my Dremel but that looks like a real easy way to make a mistake. So I'm using garnet and it seems a slow and not real productive process, which I'm OK with as long as there's not something bettr/easier/faster I should know about.

Also, what's the final finishing grade and what do you use to finish/seal the rubber and bring back the smooth surface and appearance?

Thanks...

Later: or if anybody could show me to an existing thread; tried a search but couldn't find the answers I need.

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 03/19/11 01:12 PM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take it off the stock and use the B & R Jig with an 8" or bigger bench mounted disc sander with a rigid disc running at least 1600 RPM. I have used a homemade clone of this jig for many years and it is the best one I have ever seen anywhere. You can cut a pad or a plate to a perfect fit off the stock with the stock lines correctly carried on to the pad. I grind almost to the line with 60 grit AO and cut the line away with 180 grit AO. This leaves a very smooth finish that you can polish by hand if you like.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9152/Product/RECOIL_PAD_FITTING_JIG

OB

OB #222269 03/19/11 02:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I'll get one of those next time; too late for this one though. Gonna have to finish it out by hand. Any comments appreciated as I'm working on it now and hoping to finish it up today.

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 03/19/11 02:44 PM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well it's a fine kettle of fish you have yourself in now Mr. Feather. (I just couldn't resist) Double mask your stock get some good grade wet/dry cloth backed emery paper. Back it with a sturdy piece of wood about 2 1/2 inches wide and 6 inches long. Sand parallel with the stock lines using the stock as a guide. I would start course perhaps 100 grit to get you pad down to just about fit and the finish with 180 - 200 grit. If you have a soft pad like a Galazan Period Correct or Old English a few hours in the freezer will give you a firmer material to work with. Others have their own methods but this one has worked for me in the past, now I send my stocks to a profession to have pads installed. $35.00 plus postage is pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things. By the way if you are putting the pad on the Trojan thats OK but if you are messing with one of your Foxes you really need some professional help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you do not have a recoil pad jig and disc sander, you can do it like this...
Mount it on the stock and scribe around the stock on the back of the pad with a razor blade or other sharp implement. Then take it back off. In my early days, before having the "proper" equiptment; I used an angle grinder mounted with a 180 grit flap disk. Get some chalk filings into the scribed line so that you can see it better and then mount it in a vice and do one side at a time. Slowly and carefully grind it down to meet the line. This takes so finess, but it will work. And it prevents from damaging the stock.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear Mr. Barrell: thanks for your help. Putting the thing in the deep freeze would have been a good idea; unfortunately by the time I read your post I was already done, or at least as done as it's gonna get. If I do this again I'll get the name of the guy who'll do it for 35 bucks, who is either a saint or really mentally challanged. And don't worry: the Foxes are all still virgins.

Thanks to the others for their suggestions as well; the problem was, I'd already gotten it down within thousandths; shoulda asked before I started.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say if you're within "thousandths" AND the entire perimeter is still proud of the butt AND the depth of abrasive scratching isn't deeper than the amount required to polish the plastic base and fine sand the pad, you're better than I am. I have a homemade grinding jig mainly for swinging the toe to the correct angle and I do ALL the shaping and fairing off the gun on a staionary belt sander. When I've got down to that chalk or white paint-filled scribe line, I check it and correct and then polish. I don't care if it's a 32nd proud if the stock finish is intact, the lines of the pad continue the lines of the stock, the scratch pattern on the pad is light and uniform, the plastic base is fine sanded or polished to a likewise uniform look.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess everything is within thousands; just depends on how many! Hundredths, maybe? I could catch my thumbnail on it and figured I shouldn't be able to. Guess I was too picky; where were you yesterday wink?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking for a dubyadeeaitch for my Burro trailer. Charlie Chan say strategy for maintaining acceptable standard often preferable to botched pursuit of perfection. But if you can achieve perfection without sacrificing your eyesight and a kidney that would be great too!!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fin:
All the advice above is relative to craft and value. For a Parker, the advice is valid. For a finer gun, there is no substitute for perfect hand work. ANY "scratches" are not an option. And ANYTHING but a perfect fit is not worthy. This cannot be accomplished by ANY sort of jig. It takes careful and long hand work. One more thing... anyone who charges $35 to "professionally" fit a pad is either a slave labourer or a bodger. No other option.

Best, Kensal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.