May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim in PA, R. Glenz, 2 invisible), 450 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,465
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Can anyone give me an idea as to the difficulty level of replacing the firing pins on a Nitro Special?

As always, thanks for the help.

Greg Brooding

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can get a schematic from Numrich gun parts. Where do you live, I know a shop in northern Illinois that will fix it for you for a very reasonable rate.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks, I will give Numrich a try. We are good on the Northern, but it's California for me. Thought I would give it a try if it's within my abilities.

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wait! You have to remove the hammers to replace the firing pins which means a complete disassembly for all intents and purposes. For the uninitiated, replacing the hammers and reassembling a nitro special can be just this side of impossible. For a simple design they can be very tricky to put back together.

Just giving you a heads up, trying to save you some heartache. Unless you want to invest in some good and specialized tooling to do the job you may be better off to find a good gunsmith near you who has worked on one before.

Best, Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Once the hammers and their main springs and followers are out, the firing pins are held in position by long,tiny set screws.
Those set screws are heavily staked into place in factory assembly. They rarely come out easily. Other Ithaca's have the same set up. Often it takes drilling them out, re-tapping and replacement of the set screw(s).
Once in a while you get lucky and one or both turns free.

Reassembly is easy with a jig to hold the springs and followers down. Near impossible with out one.

Some people have resorted to tapping the frame for set screws to jam the springs and followers in the compressed position (same idea).
But altering the frame never seems like the best course to take even if the 'work' is covered up with the trigger plate when assembled.

Sidelock
Sidelock

did a few years ago. had to make a special spring retaining tool from an 8" c clamp. found specs in one of brownell's gunsmithing/comic books. no longer have the book, but may have the tool layin around sum wears. also, try google search for nitro special firing pin tool. you just might get a hit!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did the same for mine, about 5 minutes on a grinding wheel turned a wood clamp into the correct tool.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those small pins that hold the firing pin in place can be very difficult to remove and expensive to repair if things go wrong in removing them. I've been down the expensive repair route. I had a my nitro disassembled for a restoration effort and in the process the gunsmith twisted the head off the small screw. He then went to drill his mistake out and got off center. I finally got ahold of the action sent it to California where they used a small 'tap blaster' to clear the screw and then fit the action with a new bushing to hold the small pin ($200). Had the gun not been is such good condition it would have become a wall hanger.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.