April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hal M Hare, CJ Dawe, SKB), 1,011 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
sweep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was shooting skeet last Thursday when on station 8 low house, a broken target came out and just out of sheer luck I was able to move my head slightly right and a large piece hit me in lower left jaw. No real damage, but has me thinking.
I wear presciption glasses,not shooting glasses,(I never wanted to spend the money on them) but I'm sure that if this target hit slightly higher I would not have been so lucky.
My question is, where would I find, or what brand of prescription shooting glasses would you guys recommend?

Thanks sweep

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might look at HiDefSpecs. I have one of the multi lense sets and really like them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rya Bans. Years ago they did ads in the shooting magazines where they showed a shooter whose face had been peppered by powder burns, but his eyes were saved because he the Rays Bans.

Colin L. Kendall
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second the HiDefSpex. Best I've ever used. They are sold under the name "Pilla".

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with your eye DR but my memory says that prescfiption glasses have to meet OSHA spects for safty glasses. That said I use Decots.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a set of Randolf Engineering Ranger Sporter Rx.
http://www.randolphusa.com/products-ranger-sporter.htm

I've had at least 2 sets of lenses made by my optimologist with my Rx. My Dr. will make them to "safety glasses" spec by using polycarbonate of the appropriate thickness, which meet all the same levels of protection any commercially available sport shooting glasses tout. I can also get any type of coating or tint. Anti-glare and hardcoat are good ones to have.

No matter which frame you go with, make sure you get polycarbonate (Lexan) lenses of the appropriate thickness for "safety glasses" (3mm I think). My Dr did say that "safety glasses" were thicker.

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/21/11 01:17 PM.
sweep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank guys for your input. I'll check out the sites and choose one. I have OSHA approved glasses for work but I don't always shoot with them as they are a bit heavy. They are glass and clear.
sweep

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another option is sports glasses from companies like Oakley and Rudy Projects. They both have prescription options and I know Rudy does not have to use inserts. They are considerably less money (non prescription) than most shooting glasses, and I believe provide more than adequate protection. I can't recall the exact distance but both used to take a 12 ga blast at 10 to 20 yards w/o pellet penetration (not sure if any changes).

You can purchase a variety of lens colors (yellow, rose, brown, bronze, gray etc) for them so they could also serve as every day sunglasses w/o the "shooters look" if you got a color for the range and another for everyday wear. They also make clear lens if you want a lighter pair at work.

You can buy a pair without Rx for maybe $140.

Rudy makes the U.S. military glasses for troops in the desert and you can get the same lens although they are more money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at Post 4 Optics - www.post4optics.com Thye have provided me with outstanding customer service with interchangeable lenses

Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I am concerned, Decot is the gold standard for shooting glasses and has been for a long time. They are very well and strongly made, the lenses are instantly interchangeable for different colors and they are specifically designed for shooting. I have never known anyone who had Decot shooting glasses who ever went back to anything else. Jake

http://www.sportglasses.com/

By the way, Bud Decot was the original designer of the High Wide style of shooting glasses for Ray Ban. Many years ago he left Ray Ban and formed his own company.

Last edited by Jakearoo; 03/22/11 02:01 PM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.