May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (cpa, Jimmy W, Hammergun, CJF, 3 invisible), 550 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,592
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19892 01/12/07 07:17 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I recently acquired a 12 ga. J.P. Sauer "Royal" double. It was originally purchased (new)in Germany in 1963 by a gentleman stationed there with the air force. I think it returned to the U.S. with the original owner and was put in a closet for the next 43 years. It is in new condition. It doesn't appear to have ever been shot. It is very, very, very tight and stiff: it takes a good deal of effort to open and close the action. I showed it to a local "gunsmith", whose talents run mostly to replacing Rem. 1100 'O' rings, who opined that it just needed to have a few hundred rounds through it. Maybe so, but I'm not impressed with his expertise or advise.

The folks on this forum are the experts on doubles: does anyone have a suggestion for a competent smith in or near Denver? Anyone have any experience with these guns? Any ideas what is going on here? I'd sure appreciate any suggestions or ideas on this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David Yale Yellowjacket, CO 970-562-4225

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy may be right. I have a merkel that is still very stiff after 750+ rounds, it is getting looser but slowly. Try opening and closing it while watching TV to get it broken in more quickly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's probably 43 year old lubricant that's gunning up the works. Might need a thorough cleaning.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree it may very well be a lubricant problem. I have a brand new unfired Colt Police Positive revolver that was made in the 20s. You can't cock it or even swing the cylinder out. I've chosen to leave it that way as it doesn't have a mark on it. The chambers still show 100% blueing.
Your gunsmith may be right about it needing a few hundred rounds to loosen it up but I personally would do a detailed cleaning before firing this gun.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, clean, relube, and shoot. If something is obviously binding, don't force it, it'll have to be disassembled anyway.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks guys. I wondered if the 43 year old lube might be part or all of the problem. I'm not going to try to do the cleaning myself since I've no doubt I'd bugger things up. I'll contact David Yellowjacket as you suggest. If anyone has any other competent double smiths near Denver, let me know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good strip and clean will certainly be required for a 60 year old gun neglected so long anyway.

Before you take it to bits, try cleaning the parts that mesh when you open/close the gun with a q tip soaked in solvent. Namely, the hinge pin, the hook on the bbls, the knuckle, the matching surface on the forend iron, the water table and the bbl flats, and the action face. The put a little oil on the parts that rub and try again. You will probably feel a big difference. If not, read on.

If the toplever moves freely with the bbls off, there is nothing binding in the bolting mechanism. If it's stiff, you can squirt some WD40 into the bolt raceway (the part that slides forward in the frame to lock the bbls in place) without taking it apart. Try moving the cocking levers (the two pins that protrude through the action knuckle) by hand with mechanism cocked. They should move freely. If not, squirt a little lube into the action alongside them.

Opening and closing the gun without firing it doesn't move anything else so it has to be one of these areas, if it's stiff.

On the other hand, if it's still stiff after you have done this, then it probably needs to be shot in. If it's not, you are almost done but test one more thing: fire it with snap caps or empties, and then open. It will be a little harder to open but if it's very stiff again, then the mechanism needs to be dissassembled to lube the internals as the hammers and springs need some lube.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forty-three years without any action in a very-close-tolerance gun is guaranteed to be stiff and doublegun's medicine sounds like the antidote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.