March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you are a registered member of Gunbroker.com, watch out. I caught them trying to sneak a $2 charge past me.

About a month ago they shut down my account, claiming that it needed to be "verified." I've been a registered member of Gunbroker.com since the site launched. I've done a bit of business through the site, I have perfect feedback, and all my fees have always been paid right away.

But for some reason, I needed to be "verified." The reasons were not explained to me, nor were the terms of what being "verified" would mean.

All they asked was for me to FAX in some address details. After I did this and they were satisfied that I was not based in Nigeria, they turned my account back on. I was able to contact sellers again and bid on items. All was fine.

Well, this week I received an email from them claiming that I owed Gunbroker.com $2. The CC# I had on file with them was expired, so they couldn't automatically process the amount they claimed I owed them.

When I looked into this, I found out that Gunbroker.com was claiming that this $2 was a fee for verifying my account. They also claimed that I had authorized this fee when I submitted to the verification process.

I found nothing when I searched Gunbroker.com for information about Verification (or Extended Verification, as they call it). Also, there are no details about this process in the "My Account" section of the site, or anywhere else that I could find.

Right now, Gunbroker.com has not resolved this issue with me. They're still claiming that I authorized the charge to my card. I have asked them to show me where & when I gave them this authorization.

You can see the back and forth I've been having with their lousy customer support in this screen shot:

Making small, automatic charges to a CC# is a common way people commit fraud on the internet. The perpetrator figures you'll never notice the amount charged, or if you do, you won't bother to follow up on it because it's too much trouble.

Gunbroker.com has added a little twist to this by added this "verification" BS. The only reason I caught it is because the CC# they have for me has expired.

Please pass this info around and post it wherever possible. I'm sure I'm not the only one they're trying to pull this on.

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will admit that they are not the most pleasant people with whom to do business but if you change the credit card # on file or give them a new credit card # because the one on file expired there is a $2 charge, just like there was when you initially set up the account. I think, however, this is a credit against future activity.

Last edited by Rick Beckner; 04/08/11 07:38 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have gotten that notice a couple of times, as they do not have my credit card info, I just ignore them. Get a dailey or almost dailey notice for a couple of Sxss I'm looking for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a thought after reading this, perhaps you should remove the "-with-doubles" from your nickname on here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It sounds to me like your credit card expired and possibly you didn't go in and update it, and therefore the charge.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW,I agree with you. AuctionArms in the past has charged me $4. due to my CC expiring.
When questioned they told me that if I update the expiration date on the CC they will never charge me another penny.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate sh*t like this. Just petty and annoying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nhcrowshooter
Just a thought after reading this, perhaps you should remove the "-with-doubles" from your nickname on here.

LOL. That's what I was thinking too. $2 is worth this? Really?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought or sold 88 items on gunbroker.com and been very pleased with this on-line service.

I have found unusual shotguns that weren't available locally, and been pleased with my purchases. Likewise, I have sold guns and gear that I no longer needed/wanted. Their fees have seemed reasonable to me (usually about 3%).

An occasional $2 fee doesn't seem worth fussing over.

JERRY

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's why they do it. It doesn't seem like it's worth fussing over.

But if you do it to 10,000 people a year, that money adds up. Scammers will steal CC #s and do it to 100,000 cards a couple time a year. Now you're talking some decent change.

BTW: GB didn't do it because the CC on file had expired, or to verify a new CC (kind of like a gas station does).

They did it for some bogus "Extended Verification" process that they forced me into. As you can see, I gave them a chance to explain this to me and come to a resolution. They didn't want to do it.

And if no one has a problem paying a $2 fee every now and then, please send me $2 every 6 months. I will be happy to take the money.

And please tell others.

If I can get a 1,000 of you to do it 2x a year, I can pay for a decent trip out west.

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.