March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, canvasback, SKB, Ted Schefelbein), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nonsense! Joe provides many good laughs and beside that, I like him. Did he have a bit part in Deliverance? Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was in the serivce in Germany (66-67) I belonged to the Rod & Gun Club in the small kasern I was stationed at. A retired Sargent Mayor ran the club and was always getting great deals on guns. I had ordfered a 20 ga. Winchester 101 ($165.85) when they first came out in June of 1967 I believe, sent it home in a Leg-O-Mutton case.
In the gun rack for the longest time was a Remington 11-48 .410 with 25" ventilated barrel, improved cylinder for $103.00 I bought it on lay-away and kept it in the arms room (I was an MP, so no problem getting to it.) I got to know a German civilian on post that was a fire man and somehow the conversation went to hunting. I told him what I had in the arms room and he said,"what are you going to kill with that?". He shot a 20 ga. Franki autoloader, and I told him I would kill as much as him with his gun. Come to find out his father owned much land in the next town and he invited me to a morning hunt with him, his son and the father.
In order to hunt in Germany then, you had to have at least 400 acres of land, a dog that would follow scent for a few hundred yards, retrieve, and if there was water, had to retrieve in water. (government officals would check on this). Also it took about 6 months to get a license, but he told me not to worry about that, as no one would ask.
I found some .410 shells in the local town, 3" paper, waxed. For the first hunt in the morning we hunted along a stream running through the property. We split up walking along the stream, and a few teal (cinnamon ?) jumped up and I shot the one and it fell on the other side. The fellow I knew came with his dog and asked it I shot at something and I told him a teal, I said it fell on the other side and I could just make out the breast color. He didn't believe it but sent the dog across the stream and in no time found it. I also shot a drake mallard and tried to shoot another but the gun jammed. Found out it was the wax, so I had to scrap all the wax from the shells in order to shoot more than once.
We later hunted a plowed field and the dog (German Shorthair) went on point. He told me if was a hasse (hare) but I couldn't see it, he told me to look for black eye, I finally saw it and he told me to walk up to it, it got up but was too close, he kept on saying shoot it, I finally did and killed it stone dead, when the dog brought it back, and I hung it on my belt the ears were dragging the ground, it weighed about 10 lbs.

I could go on and on with the birds and hares I shot with this gun, including Hungarian Partridge, more ducks.
The afternoon hunts were with large parties that were invited to hunt and all of the game went to the landowner to be sold in the local town, and on this particular hunt my friend said they were going to hunt the border of the property and if any pheasants got up shoot them, because the neighbor was shooting pheasants earlier than his father wanted to (birds weren't fully feathered, and wouldn't bring as much money as later on). A cock pheasant took of near me and I waan't expecting it, and fumbled for the safety, and by the time I pushed it off and fired, it was out there, I hit it but not enough to kill it and he finished it. After all the things I shot with that little gun and he never said anything, now he finally said, "see, I told you your gun was too small for hunting."

I hunted with him a few more times before my duty was over and shot more game. In the evenings, we would get in a tree stand and wait for the game to come out of the fields, and they only thing that didn't want me to shoot was any Rae deer.

I remember the father shot a Saur drilling, and in the fathers house eating dinner, on one wall was the father's Rae horrn, stag horns, Wild Boar tucks, my firends wall, and his son's wall all with their trophies.

Great memories and great times. Still have the .410, looks like new and have used it hear for pheasants and quail. Missed a triple on wild quail, the miss was a crossing cock from left to right, and I mean easy.

So the killing power of a .410 in my opinion is no less that a 10 ga. You just have to know your limitations.

David

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David,
Thanks for relating that experience. Nothing you took with that gun surprises me after using a .410 in earnest for a few yrs now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't used it a whole lot Steve, mostly out back dustin the starlings and such. But it sure is a fun little gun!
Curtis

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.