Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

To Doverham's point: steel suitable for barrels has a very small range of density, tools to measure striking are now commonly available and cheap, and, we now have the technology readily avaliable to measure weight, balance AND weight distributiion (as MOI). The art is in helping the customer decide what he needs/wants.

To Geno's point: no two pieces of wood have the same density. Therefore, no two stocks of the same dimensions will have the same weight, balance, and weight distribution; good point.

Good understanding, Chuck. You got it as I see it.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I also think that today's machining processes have the ability (and have had for several decades) to make the tubes such that traditional "striking" can be minimized to not much more than polishing them for blueing. The H&H video mentioned "striking" in their, I believe mainly because it has so much lore associated with it, but showed the guy playing with nothing more than about a .001" from the machined tube. It's not like the days when poor machining steels were used and crude machinery was used, then hand worked (struck, for those that have "bonnets" on their cars) to an acceptable dimension and finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey , chuck
I have a "Boot" on my car smile
Franc

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Franc,
Boots belong on feet, bonnetts on a woman's head.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple of more things. Not all best guns are bespoke and not allbespoke guns are best. When we start talking about "best" and "besoke" it is easy to forget that most of us lack the wallet to deal in such goods in the traditional sense.

What to do? Compromise! Simple as that. Get real about what your wallet is capable of. Think used/preowned/broken-in. Or, think what attributes of a best work gun you can give up and still be satisfied; understand that it is highly probable you will move on from this gun at some point. The one gun for all purposes and all times rarely works. Now, a fork in the road. Either learn how to identify used guns you can modify to suit yourself and who can do the mods - - - sort of after the fact bespeaking. Or, find a maker who will supply a suitable gun within your price range. Simple, but sound boxlocks are being offered at some pretty reasonable prices these days.

The key, IMO, is to learn what you want and how to specify it. Second, learn from each purchase. Changing shooting purpose will likely mean changing guns. Caution against changing guns for the excitement of a new gun unless you are an admitted gun changer. Make each gun a learning experience and a step closer to whatever you want in the way of a best gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck
I guess a hood belongs on your 'ead then, dunno exactly where the trunk fits in smile
I still try to drive on the left hand side when traffic isn't too heavy
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can dig all O' that Rocket'
especially the last bit
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 05/13/11 11:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

never owned one. no dog in this fight. But what about the high end guns from CMC?

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think their value will ever be as great as their asking price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good advice Rocketman. That's pretty much what I've done in the last 10 years that I've become very interested in doubles (as opposed to just liking them before that). I recently had to sell nearly all my doubles for financial reasons, but I still have my super-lightweight French 16 gauge upland gun, my 12 gauge Pedersoli ML, and my 12 gauge Remington 870 rainy day/household defence gun.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.