April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, Ian Forrester, Marks_21, fab500, Ken Nelson, Birdog), 1,174 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,133
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore - When you make reference to the "BH" are you referring to the "Gold Hearts" gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dean, I corrected the grade of #117432 to BHE. The Gold Hearts gun is a lowly DH.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We found ten Lancaster shotguns and rifles made for Annie Oakley in the Charles Lancaster ledger books. Most had been returned for refurbishment at least once. Oakley’s use of Lancaster guns and a testimonial letter from her were marketed by the firm.
Originally Posted By: salopian
Does anyone have the stock dimensions of Annie's guns (Parkers?)
The reason I ask is that I own a gun that was allegedly used by Annie when she visited a friend here in England, shooting Game.
Now I know many gunmakers proclaimed Annie used there products because of her celebrity status.
My interest is in trying to tie in the gun with the particular estate where she visited. My gun was I believe manufactured in 1906 and it is my belief Annie was still visiting here up until 1920.
Any help with information about Annie Oakley would be greatly appreciated.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow. American Annie guns sell for six figures in the USA. I wonder if such glamour is attributed to Lancaster guns in the UK?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Wow. American Annie guns sell for six figures in the USA. I wonder if such glamour is attributed to Lancaster guns in the UK?

Doubtful

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "gun being researched", referred to in post #582731, is a Parker with stock dimensions exact to the sixteenth to Annie's Lancaster dimensions. It has a full "pigeon" breech with no extension rib and large gold balls on each side of the rib like appeared on her Remington automatic. I didn't post the serial number and the gun has never gone to auction or been sold since its "outing". It was shipped to Newark on March 8,1902 and possibly shot at the 1902 Grand American at Live Birds which I believe was held in early April, 1902. The weight of the gun conforms to the ounce to the pigeon rules of the day and was apparently ordered to conform to those rules. Press writings of the time put Annie in the hospital recovering from her accident at the time of the April Grand. However, she attended and performed well at the Grand American at Live Birds so she must have recovered enough to shoot "her new gun". To add a bit of additional controversy to this thread, the 4E Ithaca mentioned by Drew is way off of Annie's drops at heel and comb and was certainly not ordered for her. I'm not sure whether that gun has surfaced or is still undiscovered. If Annie's name is on the Ithaca order and the gun surfaces, it will probably sell for an astronomical figure like some of the Parkers that were not made for her but are identified as hers in auction ads. The single trap gun that appears in her hands in photos about that time is a Parker. It has not surfaced or been identified as far as I know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Annie did compete at the (last) GAH at Live Birds in Kansas City
See the bottom of the 3rd column
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/41035

She killed 22 birds in the GAH, handicapped at 27 yds.
The guns and loads were only documented for those that went straight
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/41039

Annie's Remington Automatic Shotgun

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Which she may be shooting here at a Pinehurst demonstration

I'll work on recovering the images that were lost when PictureTrail ceased operations

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reverend Drew, thank you so much for confirming Annie's performance in the 1902 Grand American at Live Birds. You are the "man" in the documentation of old competition shoots. As far as I know, the single barrel picture is the only one with Annie holding a Parker. I would kill for a picture of Annie with the "Gold Hearts Gun", but I'm not holding my breath.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Annie at the 1902 GAH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, what is the source of the pictures and text above? There seems to be a mix of the Live Bird shoot and the GAH at targets. The Interstate Park was mentioned as well as the Live Bird event that was held on a different date in Kansas City. I would like to find a clearer picture of Annie shooting a double gun, a rarity in Annie Oakley collectibles.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.