April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, MattH, Stanton Hillis, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 395 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I exchanged several e-mails with John over the last few years and had the pleasure of speaking with him on a couple of occasions. John was a unique individual, one that easily become a "best friend" to anyone inclined to accept such an honor. I last heard from him just a few weeks (or has it been months??) past and he said he might be off the net for a while during some pesky little condition he had. I hope his family is doing well. I will miss him and will always have fond memories of John and the other "greats" whose names have already been mentioned. Above all, I am confident that I know where John is right now. I am sure he has found peace.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had missed John for quite a while now, since not seeing him post. I will surely miss him much longer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shocking. He just finished a nice stock job and all seemed to be going well. My condolences.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

John definitely had a way with words that will be missed,sorry to hear the news, condolences to his family.

Craig Havener

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: improved modified
Shocking. He just finished a nice stock job and all seemed to be going well. My condolences.

I hope you were not referring to me! smile I am quite well and feeling pretty frisky to quite honest.

Doug (the other) Mann

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

I well remember John's home grown version of the Henhouse gun, a leg pulling, hilarious yarn if ever there was one.

Be safe on your journey old friend of the gun.

My condolences to the family.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes TC, that was a real Corker... n It went on for ages,,,Tolly the Sheppard, right?
franc
I'd love to see a pic of John
Cheers all

Sidelock
Sidelock

Haven't been here for some time and just saw the news of John's passing. What a tremendous loss to us all! He will be missed.

Ed

Keep outa the wire...
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Sunset and Evening Star
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep,
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark.

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
the flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar.".....Alfred Lord Tennyson

Sleep Well John........George

Sidelock
Sidelock

About 6 years back I got this silly idea in my head that I really liked nice side by sides. I didn't know anyone with a nice gun, and even now, I'm not sure how I decided I liked them so much, but very shortly I found myself here. After starting to post, I got a nice message from John, or Pop as many younger people knew him. I had never met him, never spoken with him before, but was instantly comfortable with him. He had a warmth about him that can't be put into words. The quintessential Southern Grandfather, the kind of guy that you'd like to sit on the porch with and have him tell you all about life, love and funny times.

We grew very close, and I would make regular trips up to NH to see him, and visit. Walking into Kittery with him was always a treat, as the gentlemen that worked there knew John, and always had questions about the guns they were trying to sell. He would take some time to go over a gun, then hand it to me and ask me what I thought of it, always pointing out the details I missed, teaching me at every turn.

One time we were in Kittery looking at a new gun they had, it was a beautiful damascus barreled gun. John was turning it over in his hands, smiling and admiring the piece. Another shopper came over to John and I and said, "Mister, you can't shoot that gun, those barrels are damascus steel and are liable to blow up right in your face!" I bit my lip to choke back a laugh, but John didn't miss a beat. He looked utterly incredulous, as if he had never heard such a thing before. With great care, he handed the gun back to one of the amused employees, looking for all the world like he thought the gun was going to blow up right then and there. With the gun safely back on the rack, John thanked the man profusely for educating him, and, probably, for saving his life. When the man walked away, John shot me a wink and made a comment about getting rid of the competition and saving the damascus barreled guns for us.

John was a Renaissance Man. He could talk about fine guns all day, but then move on to Antiques or decoys, politics or literature. As I moved through college we would exchange emails regularly, covering topics far away from the world of doubles. He was an extremely wise man, and his words of advice never led me astray.

A more generous man I have not, and will not, know. After only meeting me a few times, he heard that I was going to shoot some clays with friends. His face brightened, it seemed some of his shooting irons could use a workout, and he felt I was the man to do so. He promptly handed me $10,000+ worth of guns, demanded I have fun, and told me to return them whenever. I was, and still am, shocked by that gesture.

He had a habit of going dark when he wasn't doing well, he didn't want anyone's pity and certainly didn't want to feel like he was a bother. Sadly I never got to say goodbye, or thank him for being such a formative individual in my life.

John, you will be most sorely missed. You were a scholar, a gentleman, and an example to us all. Over time you were a lot like the grandfather I didn't have the pleasure of having. I learned a helluva lot from you, and I'll do my best to pass it on the knowledge, but more than that your warmth and generosity, on to the following generations.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

If anyone has the service details, please email me, I'd like to pay my respects. A.Storm.Howe@gmail.com

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.