March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

young red deer got these spots

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Gordon Setter, bred to field lines, would be a good choice. At least based on my experience. My male weighs 45lbs., is great with kids, pretty settled while indoors., hunts upland birds well, and loves the water.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geno
These short hairs are everywhere and its not possible to get them whith vacuum cleaner or such from fabric covers at home and in the car.

Geno,
What's your dog doing on your fabric covers? wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, same as yours does - coming over to the dark side! wink smile

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The long hair from my Gordon is pretty easy to clean up - it's really fine and felts well. But, because it's so fine, it floats everywhere and I mean everywhere. And there's a lot of it. Makes me glad I have wood floors.

But it beats trying to get short hair up.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

At least the shorthaired dogs don't have undercoats to shed. I had an old Aussie that bi-annually shed enough fur that one could make three dogs out of the shed hair. The undercoat would ball-up on the floor and drift from room to room like tumbleweeds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Face it, dogs are nasty and ought to live outside in kennels. If you have a dog in your house, you may not smell or notice it, but everyone else who comes in your home will notice it smells like a dog pen and wonder about the hairball dust bunnies under all the furniture.

All the sporting breeds I know of shed and if you don't believe it clean the coils under your refrigerator! You may think you're cleaning up all the shed hair, but you better have your wife check the back of that blue blazer you are wearing before your 8:30 meeting at the Bank.

House dogs are nicely socialized though, and still make great working dogs. Why not keep'em in the pen and just bring'em in sometimes on cold nights for a while to photograph on the rug in front of the fireplace? I keep trying to convince my wife of all that, but she still likes to keep the furball inside all the time and bring in the Wirehair and Lab every night for 'family time'...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The hair bunnies on your floor are just visual evidence you haven't vacummed recently enough. They perform a useful service by rounding up all the dust into convenient piles. And people without dogs have bunnies too. Where do you think that hair shed from your back goes?

I have had several GSPs, Vizsla, several other non sporting breeds and now a French Brittany. The GSPs are nice dogs, high energy and the hair is a pain. Vizsla is a sweet heart, but really takes a soft hand to train, and rather spooky about gunfire. The French Brittany is by far the easiest to train of all the dogs I have encountered, really good around the house, travels all over the country with us, brushed frequently hair is not a major issue. The only really long hair on them is the feathers on legs and ears which an be cut back for hunting season. Only negative I have with her is they have the most penetrating bark of any dog I have heard, and it just rattles my bars when she sounds off. Also none of the commercial boots I have found are small enough for her and in most of the west that is a problem with cactus and foxspurs. A man with one or two of them out front has a regular bird vacuum cleaner going. I have never lost a downed bird with my French Brittany along. She just doesn't quit them and that is saying something on Gambels and Scaled quail.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 08/23/11 04:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, pointing dogs usally do not stink at all. If they make pee or more even indoors, its owner's fault. Kenneled pointing dogs are not so smart as indoor pointing dogs. I prefer smart dogs.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo,
When I got my filthy beast, I told my wife it was an outdoor pet, never in the house. My wife listens to me too. She listens and then does what she wants. She laughed and said that she wanted the dog inside whenever she said so. shocked That's the way it is Geo. I wouldn't have it any other way.

As I type this from work, my dog is in the house all alone. She is coming on 6 yrs old now and stays out of mischief for the most part these days. (knocking on wood right now)

When the new dog comes, they'll both go outside when we're away, until the new dog can instill trust. (might be never).

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.