Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use damascus barrel gun's all the time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the early 60s, in my early 20s, I bought a 12 ga., about a 1910 Baker Batavia Leader for $12 while working at a gas station from a guy who needed money for gas.

I was pretty ignorant about the gun and shotguns then and loaned it to a friend to go pheasant hunting. He got his birds with high brass loads.

One day I was wondering why this gun has funny looking barrels. Twist barrels with multiple pretty small dents in each barrel and very significant pitting and the old gun held together! The barrels were at one time cut and the chokes measure ic/ic.

Still have the gun and a set of Savage "Four Tenners".

Last edited by Patriot USA; 08/27/11 09:21 AM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the original Ithaca letter that Pete Posted and that is an excellent example of biased warnings by the manufacturers without any data that started this safety story. I am sure Mr. Thompson was told by their marketing lawyers(and he maybe one of them) to get this story out to encourage new sales.
The only good of this ,was that many of were able to buy some nice damascus guns at a reasonable price,before the truth emerged.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones,

Thanks. I sometimes forget to give credit, my apologies. Like you, I am convinced it was all about sales. Much to our benefit today.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

No need for credits, I saw that letter at a gun show about 15 years ago and was astounded then and even more now after seeing all of the test and data and shooting a LOT of ammo thru my damascus Guns. One day at the Sporting Clays range
a group of shooters behind me noticed me shooting my Ithaca Damascus double. They backed off about 15 feet wsaiting for it to blow up I presumed. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of all the guns I own and have measured, the Ithaca's consistently have thick breeches. Add to the fact that Ithaca was buying some top notch damascus tubes. They are pleasure to own.

This one is mine. I am a sucker for chain damascus...

I believe Walt posted this one.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just took the dog out today for a little training, and shot a few chukars. I was using an 1897 vintage o frame LC Smith. This is the first damascus I have had and I am gaining confidence with every shot. I am using the Winchester Featherlights, and they work quite well.

I have named all my projects and since restoring this one was like putting lipstick on a pig I dubbed it "Wilbur."

CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Love my damascus 16 hammergun, and will use it next week for the Eastern prairie chicken opener in Nebraska, affectionately known as "Grousemas." 1880's Enos James, appx. 40 thou barrel wall thickness.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot an 1879 Cross Brothers often during the season. One of my favorite guns, since it is a roundbody.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM: "Check for stuck wads between shots".

This is a terrific piece of safety advice, something not often contemplated by the shooter.

Many Thanks, Pete, for making the nearly obscure glaringly obvious.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.