April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 1,119 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently bought a grade 3 Flues made in 1912 and had a question about shell pressures. It has Krupp barrels, but the barrel walls at the chambers seems fairly thin. I don't have a wall thickness gauge, but there's not much meat on those bones. With 28" barrels it weighs 6 lbs. even. It doesn't look like there has been any honing done on the bores or chambers. It action is very tight. I have some Gamebore 2 1/2" 16 shells, but I'm hesitating using any in in this one. Does anyone have an opinion on suitable pressures for the Ithacas?

Last edited by Northern Bob; 08/28/11 05:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the pressure of the shells you have?

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I remember correctly from a thread on this board the Gamebores are 8,200 psi in 16 gauge. I have some components, but mostly just Remington wads. I'm waiting on some SG16 wads to come in so I can load lower pressure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably best to stay on the side of caution. Prior to the Great War, the boys along Fall Creek were making some pretty light 16-gauge guns --

A No. 3 Flues of that era is a pretty nice gun. Pics?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I was worried about wall thickness I would measure them or have a competetent gunsmith measure them. I posted the unaltered chamber end wall thicknesses of several smallbore barrel sets in this thread:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240566#Post240566

It includes a Flues with Krupp steel barrels that I shoot low pressure reloads in.

If Gamebore is not publishing the pressure of their loads then I don't think they are under any obligation to make sure their shells meet anything but SAAMI pressures. Do they publish them?

I would be comfortable shooting 8200 psi loads in my Krupp steel Flues.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/28/11 06:15 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info, guys. That is an interesting link, Mike. The chamber wall just forward of the rim recess is 0.162" if that means anything. I really do need to get a wall thickness gauge. I don't have any pictures of this one yet. Nice looking engraving on these early Ithacas though. This one has ejectors so I guess it is a 3E.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob Ithaca Flues models were more prone, if not notorious, for cracks in the frame thought to be caused primarily by a design flaw due to a lack of sufficient radius at the joint of barrel flats and the standing breech. The sure way to reduce the risk of cracking the frame is using reduced recoil loads. I would select a 1 ounce load producing 1,170 fps or less or a 7/8th ounce load producing 1250 fps or less. Both loads produce a recoil of 15 foot pounds of recoil energy. Remember there is no direct correlation between chamber pressure and recoil.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the reply, Twicebarrel. It would only be used for ruffed grouse or sharptails, so a 7/8 oz load at less that 1250 would be fine. I'm a bit surprised that a light shotgun like this is choked so tightly. Both barrels are stamped with a 4 which in another thread should mean full chokes. Is that common in the Ithaca 16 gauges?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am also amazed at how many old light guns are tightly choked. Garwood wrote that he believed the plastic wad and shot cup had the effect of one degree of choke tightening. That is a 3/4 shot like a 4/4. Of course these guns were designed to shoot paper cartridges with fiber wads and a overshot card.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.