April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (L. Brown), 1,092 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#241357 08/28/11 05:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I’m currently collecting Limey gunmakers trade marks for a potential article. (See below.) Please send me any not listed. Thanks.

MARK MAKERS WHERE FOUND

Thomas Bland B inside a diamond, a bee composite butt plate

BSA piled arms

William Ford “The Eclipse Gun” in a crescent

W. W. Greener elephant

Alexander Henry A. H. (initials)

Arthur Howell running ostrich

Robert Jones shooting star

Robert Lisle tiger inside of trigger guard

Ward & Sons target

Thomas Woodward comet

Webley & Scott winged bullet

John Wilkes JW monogram trade label

W & C Scott crenulated tower action flats

W. R. Pape open pin fire action outside of trigger guard

James Purdey J. P. & S.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Holloway & Co has a skull

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's one for you. W.S. Riley's trademark was an Eagle? with a banner saying "Nothing Without Labour".

Sidelock
Sidelock

William Palmer Jones------W.P.J

Webley and Scott----------three different marks with bullet with wings

Westley Richards--------W.R.

Hollis Bentley and Playfair----Special Steel written around a Circle with a Dot in middle

Westley Richards----Oval within an oval with Anson and Deeley on top and Patent on bottom and use no. in middle

G and S Holloway ----H before serial no.

John Dickson---Oval with J D & S on top half, use no. in middle, and Patent below

Robert Balderson has book Official Guide to Gunmarks that is more helpful with marks for other than Britain.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 08/28/11 06:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Douglas,
Whitworth.----- Wheatsheaf.[ On guns and barrels]
Thomas Wild.--- Ace of Spades
Daniel Fraser.- Multi turreted castle surrounded by ,DF &Co.
Purdey- Also used;- Four bullets forming a slanted cross
Rose-----------Found on damascus/twist barrel guns by many makers.Trade mark of Rose Brothers of Birmingham and Hales-Owen near Birmingham.Makers of patent twist and damascus shotgun and rifle barrels.
Cartridge cases marketed by many gunmakers/sellers and their company letter heads also provide a clue as to their trade marks.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 08/29/11 08:29 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Roy Hebbes #241474 08/29/11 10:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Midland Gun Company 'Demon'.

Thomas Wild was actually an ace of spades with the heart, diamond and club marks within it.

Thomas Bland also used, on the butt plate, a Gamekeeper with dog and a gun under his arm but only on the 'Keeper's' gun model.

Come on Doug, the word 'Limey' went out in the early 19th century along with the use of the word 'Colonial'. :-) I'll have a look for more. I do have a photo of the Tiger trade mark on the trigger guard bow of a Robert Lisle gun of Derby if it would help illustrate your article. Lagopus.....

lagopus #241532 08/29/11 01:37 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear Mr.Smith

Many thanks for pointing out the typo in my book Birmingham Gunmakers. As you might imagine there are many more. I have taken to annotating my copy as I come across them.

Please forgive me if I have offended by using the now politically incorrect term “Limey.” I promise never to refer to you as a “Brummie.”

I have noticed you have consistently offered extensive knowledge of the Birmingham gun trade on the DGJ website. As I mentioned to another Canadian resident recently you are the one who should have written the definitive Birmingham book. It is an unfortunate irony that writers are rarely knowledgeable while the knowledgeable can rarely write. Would you consider a collaborative effort on some aspect of British gunmaking?

A. Geordie Limey

PS Did you know Val Forget?

Douglas Tate #241692 08/30/11 08:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Westley Richards' trade mark was a simple triangle.

Doug, one book that does need writing is one on the Midland Gun company of Birmingham. They turned out a huge ammount of stuff in both their name and as a trade manufacturer with their guns having the names of a great many others. Sadly all the records were lost to bombing. Lagopus.....

lagopus #242282 09/03/11 12:05 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many thanks to ALL who contributed to this thread.

Douglas Tate

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, this is the Robert Lisle of Derby one:

Will your research take the form of a book or a magazine article? If in book form I would be most interested. Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.