May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (ithaca1, canvasback, Jusanothajoe), 262 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,739
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#241881 08/31/11 12:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All of the economic data says the average household is intentionally spending less and saving more, due to "economic uncertainty." Bank savings deposits are way up, and consumers are paying down their credit card balances. Home sales are slow, even at reduced prices. New car sales are also lower.

Gun shop owners tell me their new gun sales are way off, and the remaining sales are mostly CCW weapons. They say shotguns
and hunting rifles sales are very slow. That makes some sense, as most people don't truly need another shotgun -- and can easily wait until next year, ot the year after. Some on this board have estimated that prices of quality used SxS's have dropped 25%+.

So....

1. Have your long gun purchases diminished in the past 12 to 18 months? Intentionally?

2. Are you more likely to purchase another (un-needed) shotgun when the stock market and your IRA/401k are going up?

3. Has the supposed decrease in SxS prices tempted you to buy something you might have passed by two years ago?

Personally, I have only purchased one new shotgun in the past two years, whereas I probably averaged at least two purchases annually before that.

Comments?

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, I treat the SxS market like the stock market. Buy low ans sell high when the prices etc. rebound.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, my comments:

1. No, they've gone up. I've noticed a major boom in the sales and pricing of premium "black guns" such as FN SCAR17s, Robinson Arms, HK416s, etc. Regardless of the economy, some people are buying them either because they believe a ban is coming, personal security is needed, or prices are rising.

2. I've initially had to sell guns in the down economy due to different chapters in my family life with health insurance, bills, etc. However, I will be inclined to purchase a very premium gun for myself in the coming months because things are hitting the market today that were not available a couple years ago. "Family guns" and prized possessions that are best guns keep appearing on the market at low prices so the collectors are jumping in.

3. No. But the buying power has gone up. I used to buy boxlocks, now I can afford sidelocks at the same price.

Just my take on the market. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
Jerry, my comments:

1. No, they've gone up. I've noticed a major boom in the sales and pricing of premium "black guns" such as FN SCAR17s, Robinson Arms, HK416s, etc. Regardless of the economy, some people are buying them either because they believe a ban is coming, personal security is needed, or prices are rising.

Resp:I fully expect to see a glut of black rifles after next years elections.

2. I've initially had to sell guns in the down economy due to different chapters in my family life with health insurance, bills, etc. However, I will be inclined to purchase a very premium gun for myself in the coming months because things are hitting the market today that were not available a couple years ago. "Family guns" and prized possessions that are best guns keep appearing on the market at low prices so the collectors are jumping in.

Resp: If a gun is priced right and If I want it or I can buy it and flip it I will do so.

3. No. But the buying power has gone up. I used to buy boxlocks, now I can afford sidelocks at the same price.

Resp: Not enough double sales action in my area to answer this.

Just my take on the market. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Overall opinion: I think a lot of responses wil depend upon where someone's located and of course what their current financial situation my be. I suspect age is also a consideration.

Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 08/31/11 01:15 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The prices I have seen lately have been in my opinion stupid high on well used field grade guns here and elsewhere, that being said i doubt they are selling.
If it is priced right it will sell

Sidelock
Sidelock

People who have jobs are busy deleveraging themselves as much as possible, saving when they can, and avoiding buying new stuff. People without jobs are struggling to get by.

People who believe something bad will happen that can/might be fended off by personal firepower are buying black rifles and similar stuff.

I measure the severity of things by an old truism: the last things a guy will sell are the shotguns. That obtains in severe illnesses, marital splits, job losses, recessions/depressions, whatever. That we're seeing what seems like a lot more of quality stuff - not necessarily "Best of the best", but good guns nonetheless - at prices either steady or declining tells me things are getting increasingly difficult, if not desperate, in the segment of society which buys those nice guns. I think the trade in 870s and 1100s and lower-end guns has probably held steady and the prices haven't moved appreciably. But the nicer stuff we like to talk about - there are a lot of sellers looking for buyers.

And, as to my buying, I'm pretty satiated right now. I recently bought a nice French 16ga sxs and I want to spend some time getting better acquainted. I'm looking, in an aimless keep-my-eyes-open-but-not-hunting way, for a nice .22 revolver - a camp gun, we call them - and maybe a 28ga sxs. But the prices have to be right and I'm in no hurry. I'm far more interested in finding lead shot at less than $50 a bag.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think there is a a solid market for truley fine collectable guns. Minty Parkers, graded Fox, Winchester 92's, 73's, 86's, M21's etc. The mid-range market (RBL's, M23's, M101's, etc.) is very soft. I think there is a strong market for what we call "smalls". Reasonably priced utilitarian guns and accessories; some guys just get the bug to buy something. I remain an opportunistic buyer.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i think the market is real soft. i looked at gunbroker under sxs ending before midnite.of 200 looked at 17 where bid on 10 didnt meet the reserve bids where $225.00- $700.00. not one bid on the upper end doubles. that should tell us something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've pretty much maintained my same purchasing routine on guns. Spending a lot more in other areas though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not bought a gun this year. Last year, a very expensive gun (for my income) came along by a stroke of fortune and I'm making payments.

This may be the last gun for some time to come.

At some point, enough is enough.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.